Server Maintenance This Week. ×

ODBC Help

This topic is 3871 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hello,

I have a system running FMP 10 for IWP. OS is Server 2003.  I have enabled the databases for IWP and ODBC/JDBC. All editing/updating to the database is performed on this system. 

Since the database is enabled for ODBC/JDBC, can a remote client connect to the FMP 10 system and query data (excel)?  Exporting data from IWP doesn't appear to be supported.  Is this a feature of FMP Server only?  FWIW, I attempted to install the xDBC client from the CD, but it doesn't install on the Windows 7 X64 OS.  I also installed "FileMaker ODBC Driver (64-bit) 12.0.79.0" and attempted to connect to the server system, but it failed.  - Primary client based is Windows 7 X64

A couple of things:

- a lot changed since FM10 so you can not use the FM11 or 12 drivers for a FM10 database

- you mention FMP, not FMS.  If you are hosting with FMP then access to ODBC is only possible from that same machine,  not remotely.  That's a built-in limitation.  You need FileMaker Server Advanced (not the regular FMS either) to allow remote xDBC connections

• Newbies

Sorry for the confusion.  I understand the remote clients can't query data using IWP.  In addtion to my dedicated FMP system mentioned in the original post, could I have another FMP installed on a remote client and open/connect to the dedicated system to query data?  In other words, I have two FMP clients.  One for editing/hosting IWP and the other for potentially query/editing the othe FMP client.

This topic is 3871 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.