Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Label printing from Starter Solution - Contacts

Hoib

This topic is 3853 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi.  I am using FM Pro 12.4 Adv and I grabbed up the Starter Solution named "Contacts" as it was quick and seemed to have everything I needed rather than dev a custom solution.  Yes, for shame - I took the easy way out!

Nevertheless, we got the 150+ records in and then called in the Labels from the layout entitled "Labels"   I don't know what form/specification this template was built from - I assumed Avery 5160 which has 3 columns of 10 rows for 30 labels per sheet. I had to go in and tell FM to print left to right, 3 cols.

The vertical inter-label spacing is not right.  The printing starts perfectly in the first label row then gradually the labels (text data) creep up the page after each label row so that at the end nothing's lined up.  I am getting 3 columns of 10 rows each.

I've attempted adjusting the Header and Body parts adjusting each and giving more space which pushes content off the page and then less space which causes one line to overlay the following.  Adjusted font size too (misdirected advice from someone else)  Chased my tail for a good long while.  Gave up, exported to Excel and used mail merge in Word.  (I know, I know...)  This project just had to get out the door today.

So, next time I do this, what is the correct procedure to adjust an already existing label layout so that things get spaced correctly and line up like you'd expect?  In Preview mode, the rendering was definitely "off".  I could not find any adjustment (other than "raw" Layout Mode) to adjust label type or the label specification or definition.  Does it even exist?  Is this more a printer driver/settings issue? 

Anxious to hear what others might think.

in my experience with labels - it all depends on the printer and driver labels will be printed.

what works in one environment may not work in another with a different printer.

Many times i create a layout with ZERO margins then adjust the header and body parts accordingly printing mockups

then overlaying that with actual label stock on a light table. ( or hold it up to the window )

until most labels fit within the die cuts. and of course leaving enough white space for the labels that may have unexpected

long names.

Turns out that most of my clients who 'need' labels only occasionally do mass production more then 30 labels at a time

most cases we have eliminated this by using a Dymo single label printer for the day to day operations and or printing

documents that accommodate for a cover page once folded they line up nicely in a windowed envelope.

Consider the soft costs, the efforts expended to peel and stick labels on envelopes ensuring that the contents of the envelope belong to the label being affixed.

Hope that helps.  PS there is an example solution i did here relating to label printing hope it helps...  http://fmforums.com/forum/files/file/8-sheet-label-printing-virtual-list/

Oh, thank you Ocean West!  That's just great and gives me something to chew on.

I'll try your sample when next I'm in the office at the food pantry. 

So glad I am a member here.  Wish I could contribute something to the discussion.  Seems like I'm always "taking" and never "giving"...

But, I do appreciate the reply.

This topic is 3853 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.