Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Can't open file remotely on Windows server from Filemaker 11

This topic is 3844 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I and other users have been opening a Filemaker database remotely (using FM 11) without incident for over two years on a Windows server. All of a sudden, a few days ago, users outside the LAN of the college where the database is hosted can no longer open the database remotely. People on the network have no problem.

This might appear to be a firewall problem, but my IT support person informs me that no settings have been changed for the firewall. Moreover, the server log appears to indicate that all those requesting access were admitted, even when Filemaker refused entry.

I checked to see if old versions of the database that had worked fine would allow entry, but users outside the LAN can't get into the older databases, either.

Users outside the LAN receive the following standard message:

The file "UTSkllls" could not be opened. Either the host is not available, or the file is not available on that host.

How would we go about diagnosing and resolving the problem?

I have the following description of the setup from our IT department:

The server in question is a 2008 R2 Windows server running on a three-node vmware vsphere 4.1 cluster. Each node is connected with dual redundant gigabit channels to two independent switches which are themselves connected (each) with gigabit fibre directly to the campus backbone.

how are the remote users connecting?  By specifying an IP address, a DNS name?  Check that the IP address has not changed or that the DNS name is still valid.

If you have an iOS device an FileMaker go you can easily test this from inside the network by using a 3G/4G connection

Users usually connect using a DNS name. I believe that the DNS name hasn't changed. Note that the DNS name does get me in fine as long as I am within the college's network. The file opens and everything proceeds as it should. It's only when I'm outside the network that I get the error about host or the file being unavailable. Wouldn't it fail within the network as well if the DNS were incorrect?

I also just tried with the IP address. I wasn't sure how to find it, but I noticed that Filemaker detects it when I am within the network and I go to Open Remote. Same thing happened.

I have iOS and FileMaker GO, but have I never used it till now. I do get the same error message when I enter the DNS and file name, but it seems to append fmp12 to the file name, whereas my database is fmp11, so the test probably doesn't say much.

In any case, it's easy for me to check from within the network or without from any location. If I am within the network, i.e., in my office, I use the wireless to test from outside the network. (Our wireless is within the university network but not the college network.) From home, I just use remote desktop connection to test from within the network.

Any suggestions about what to consider next will be greatly appreciated.

Users usually connect using a DNS name. I believe that the DNS name hasn't changed. Note that the DNS name does get me in fine as long as I am within the college's network. The file opens and everything proceeds as it should. It's only when I'm outside the network that I get the error about host or the file being unavailable. Wouldn't it fail within the network as well if the DNS were incorrect?

A DNS entry maps a name to an IP address.  If the DNS name itself has not changed then it could be that it is pointing to the wrong external IP address.

FM Go: you probably have FM Go 12, not 11 if it tries to append .fmp12.

From a command line ping the DNS name and note the IP address it translates to.  Then verify with the network guys that this is still the external IP address to use.  If it is not, then that's your culprit and you can get them to change it.

If the IP address is still correct then it is likely that the port forwarding from that external IP address to the internal IP address of the FM host is not correct.

• 2 weeks later...

My IT support person solved the problem. He said there was an error in the network configuration. Don't know much more than that. Thanks very much for your help, Wim.

This topic is 3844 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.