Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Possible to container files externally and saving in same location?

This topic is 3808 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

This one might be a reach...

I'm using external & open storage on our FM server for containers, and we store all kinds of file types in various containers.  If a user needs to edit the file, they have to export the file , edit as needed, reimport, and delete any previous versions.  

Would it be possible to Export Field Contents to the file path location it's being stored, causing FM to "overwrite" the file, and then proceed to open it automatically?  My thought is that once the user makes the necessary edits and goes to save the document, the file path would already be pointing to the original location.  Crazy idea?  

Is there some other solution I'm not aware of?  I've been searching for a long time but I'm coming up empty.  

Thanks!  

Very much a crazy idea.  FMI has been very clear that only FMS should ever touch the folders or files where the external container data is stored.

For your scheme to work, the locations where FMS stores the files would need to be opened to OS-level sharing with liberal permissions to the users.  That could cause all sorts of mayhem in your database.

This topic is 3808 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.