IIS Application Request Routing Error During Install

This topic is 3589 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Still having absolute nightmare of a time getting this software working...

I asked the server team at work to create me a brand new server, running 2008 R2. All working fine. Added IIS as a 'Role' - all working fine.

Tried to install FMS13 and it fails during the installation process with the following error message -

"IIS Application Request Routing (ARR) is required, but FileMaker Server was unable to download it. Either connect to the Internet and try again, or manually install IIS Application Request Routing (ARR)."

Well, i am definitely connected to the internet, so that isnt the issue.

Also, I tried manually downloading and installing ARR 3.0 (as 2.5 is no longer available) and it makes no difference at all.

Surely I cannot be the only one having this issue?

All and any advice or help would be greatly appreciated...

Ian.

So far this is the only report of the issue.  Are you starting the install by running the MSI file or the setup.exe file?

I'm pretty sure ARR is bundled with the FMS installer so perhaps you can find it and run it first?

Hi Wim,

According to the FileMaker Support Forum, there are at least three other reported cases of people having exactly this issue, with no resolution in sight.

I have tried manually installing ARR 2.5 and ARR 3.0 before installation, with the same failure result.

I fear this is going to be a bigger problem as the software gets adopted by more companies unless FM Inc get to the bottom of this issue very quickly.

I'm trying a few other things today (all Windows Updates, upgrade to Server 2012 etc) so I will let you all know how I get on.

If upgrading to Server 2012 is the only thing that fixes the fault though, I think FM Inc may need to revise the 'System Requirements' of FMS13...

UPDATE -

* Complete fresh install of Server 2008 R2 SP1.

* ALL Windows Updates completed (inc. IE 11).

* Manual installation of ARR 2.5. (To "manually" install ARR (Application Request Routing) 2.5, try the download located here. - thanks to TSFalcon from FileMaker Support Forum for this link, it is slightly different to the ARR 2.5 version that seems to be available in most other places)

* Installation re-attempted. Has not failed at the ARR stage as before.

* Installation completed!

Just running through the Server Deployment now, but looking good....

Thanks again to TSFalcon for the link to the ARR 2.5 - upon inspection, it was slightly different to the one I tried before so I don't know if this was a factor, or if the Windows Updates were the root of the problem.

Either way, it's something for you other guys having trouble to check!

Well, server works, but web publishing doesn't.

As soon as I start the Web Publishing Engine, I will get an error in the log - "Java Web Publishing Engine process has terminated abnormally."

I really thought I was getting somewhere!!! :-(

Really had enough of this now. Even when the WPE stopped misbehaving, WebDirect still said it was disabled, even though it was ticked etc. Looks like its due to problems with the way it configured IIS (which was a completely default / fresh installation).

Rebuilding the server to 2012, will let you know what happens. Don't hold your breath.

This has to be the worst experience i've EVER had with any FM software, going right back to FM5.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Newbies

Hi Ian,

I am having exacly the same issue as you - "Java Web Publishing Engine process has terminated abnormally."

The web publishing engine will not activate. I am running Server 2008 & IIS default install - Java updated.  No other software running on server.

Also cannot get access to control panel via IP address - just local

Let me know if you resolve.

Anyone else any ideas - I have reinstalled several times & running out of patience...

Paul

• 3 weeks later...
  • Newbies

So far this is the only report of the issue.  Are you starting the install by running the MSI file or the setup.exe file?

I'm pretty sure ARR is bundled with the FMS installer so perhaps you can find it and run it first?

Hi Wim,

Are you able to assist with the following?

I am having exacly the same issue as other uses in this thread - "Java Web Publishing Engine process has terminated abnormally."

The web publishing engine will not activate. I am running Server 2008 & IIS default install - Java updated. No other software running on server.

Also cannot get access to control panel via IP address - just local.

Thanks in Advance

Paul

Hi Wim,

Are you able to assist with the following?

Sounds like a job for FMI support.

In preperation for your call to them: go through the delployment log and the system and application Windows logs to see if there are any clues there.

• 5 months later...
  • Newbies

I had the same problem today.

My server was running FileMaker Server 13.2 with ARR 3.0 on Windows Server 2008. I had to reinstall FMS from the 13.1 installer and it gave me the error described here. I uninstalled ARR 3.0 and ran the 13.1 installer again and it worked with no errors. So it seems that the 13.1 installer requires ARR 2.5. It also seems to connect to Microsoft to download ARR 2.5 so if you don't have an internet connection I'm not sure what happens. Perhaps it skips it? Not sure. Best.

This topic is 3589 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.