Server Maintenance This Week. ×

FileMaker Server 11 to FileMaker Server 13

Bigun

This topic is 3780 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

We currently have hundreds of FileMaker 11 clients and a few FileMaker 11 servers deployed.  We are needing to plan a course of action to get everything on FM13.  And I had a few questions:

1. Are FM11 clients compatable with FM13 servers?
  2. Are FM13 clients compatable with FM11 servers?
  3. Does converting FM11 databases to the new format have any known pitfalls we need to watch for?
  4. Is there an available MSI for the FM13 client for GPO deployment?
  5. Any other tips for a broad deployment/upgrade like ours?

We currently have hundreds of FileMaker 11 clients and a few FileMaker 11 servers deployed.  We are needing to plan a course of action to get everything on FM13.  And I had a few questions:

1. Are FM11 clients compatable with FM13 servers?

No, they are not.  Different file format.

1. Are FM13 clients compatable with FM11 servers?

No, they are not.  Different file formats.

1. Does converting FM11 databases to the new format have any known pitfalls we need to watch for?

Yes.  See here in FMF about some issues.  The design surface is different, and you may need to make layout adjustments.

1. Is there an available MSI for the FM13 client for GPO deployment?

There is a network install option.  See the instructions that came with the product, or post specific questions here.

1. Any other tips for a broad deployment/upgrade like ours?

Yes, I would find someone who is experienced in the 11 to 12 conversion/deployment and retain him/her to assist you with the planning.  Depending on the number and type of client installations, you will need careful planning.  If planning to sue either FileMAker GO or WebDirect, be aware of the concurrent license requirements.

Steven

Building on Steven's excellent advice:  as to #5: test everything carefully in a sandbox first to know what you are getting into.  If you are using plugins, make sure they are compatible.  If you do any kind of integration, test it against your sandbox first.

Vanilla, mint chocolate chip, or whatever---still test.  Plug-ins frequently fail version upgrade compatibility.

Steven

Vanilla, as-in I don't have any plugins.  We have a test environment we plan on using, I just need to know what to look for, I'll find the threads you mentioned above.

• 2 weeks later...

Just don't try it on Windows Server 2012 where you have ANY web services running, like Exchange 2013 or whatever, FileMaker Server 13 want to get your ports 80 and 443, just plain unacceptable!

Best practice is to NOT run FMS on a box that has other tasks.  

And Exchange is a really bad one to try and combine; Exchange really needs its own box.  And from a redundancy point of view: that's two crucial roles on one box.  For most deployments that's too big of a potential impact if the machine goes down.

This topic is 3780 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.