FM6 and ODBC to MySQL

This topic is 3766 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

This is hurting my head trying to remember this far back. I'm trying to put together a test platform for an FM6 application. The current production platform pulls data from a MySQL database (that resides on the same physical server with FM6). The client wants to have the MySQL hosted offsite so I need to test pulling the data while MySQL is installed in a different city/state. It should work but while trying to define the host in the "Import Records" script step I can't get the host to present the tables.

I have placed a copy of the entire FM6 project on a separate laptop with FM6ProDev installed on it. On that same PC I have defined a DSN for the new MySQL installation in the ODBC manager and successfully tested the connection. I can step through the script with "Perform without dialog" unchecked in the "Import Records" step and that works fine. When I'm prompted to select data source the DSN I created is there. When I select it I'm prompted for a user name and password which I enter (I've also made sure that I check "Save User Name and Password"). When I click OK I can see the new connection at the MySQL server and I'm able to complete the remainder of the import steps as expected.  

However when I go back to the script in the script editor it still has the old (production) DSN in the script step. If I attempt to define the file and click on the "Hosts" button I cannot for the life of me get the Hosts dialog to present the database. I've clicked "Specify Host" and tried typing in the name of the server (MySQL.companyname.com), the DSN and even "DSN:<DSN name here>". In every attempt the "Open" button continues to be greyed out. I suspect that it has something to do with having to log in the database but I thought that was why I created the DSN to begin with. When I try the "MySQL.companyname.com" FM goes into hourglass mode for about 10 seconds but I never see an attempt on the MySQL server to connect and then I'm returned right back to the same dialog.

What am I missing?

Any help will be appreciated. - Steve

Hi Steve, and welcome to the forum,

I move your topic from "FileMaker Legacy fp3 and fp5" to "External Data Sources”. because the General Topic Area is or discussion of the tools, functions and features that were released with that version of FileMaker and not for asking how-to questions.

If you have any questions about this action, please contact me by Private Message

This topic is 3766 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.