Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Deploying FM Server 13 on a Thunderbolt Pegasus

This topic is 3783 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi, firstly I am a real beginner. I just got FM Server 13 and would like to deploy it on either my Promise Technology's Pegasus R6 or my Synology Disk Station. The machine would be dedicated to Filemaker Server. Is this a good practice. If so how would I go about installing on one of these NAS?

Thanks

Herbert

Tokyo

NAS is a big No-No.  The Promise Thunderbolt however is not a NAS, since it is directly connected to the machine through thunderbolt, and not just connected to the network through ethernet.

While you can install FMS to use the Thunderbolt drive, I'm not a big fan.  It adds a big element of physical vulnerability that I would not want in a solid server deployment.

I was not talking about security but of the physical setup; with an external drive Inadvertent removal is just too easy and happens more often than you'd think.  That's an extra risk and the risk has to be mitigated. To counter that extra risk you have to step up the backup routines to make sure that the data loss is minimal.  You also need to have a procedure of some kind that someone can go in and plug the thing back in and restore in an orderly fashion to minimize the down time as well.  Without that proper restore procedure and knowing that you'll need to restore more often than with an internal i/o setup the health of the files is under greater risk.

So all things being equal i'd rather avoid the extra risk and the extra mitigation work and stay with internal i/o

• Newbies

Thanks much for the reply. Fortunately this is a family rather than business solution mainly to track my BS and BP as well as hosp visits, costs, etc. I purchased server so I could connect when we are traveling and have a ready emergency info center on my iPad if required.

So I think the Pegasus would perhaps work for me with more protection as it would be a stand alone for the the server. My question is then how to install it there?

Herbert

Herbert,

How big will this database get?  I have setup a server that uses a Pegasus as the backup drive.  Actually 1 of 2 back locations.  FMS and the databases is on the main drive of Mac.  One set of Backups go to the Pegasus. 

If you are tracking personal information and not attaching lots of scanned documents or pictures,  the database should grow fairly slowly.  So having the FMS and the database on the main disk would be ok. 

The main disk in the server is a 500 Gigabit mirrored pair.  So there is redundancy in the disk system.  Which has saved the data at least once. 

This topic is 3783 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.