Server Maintenance This Week. ×

This topic is 3766 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Last year the company I work for upgraded to FileMaker 12 from FileMaker 11, and the upgrade went very smoothly. I managed the client installations on the Mac side, while our MIS team handled PC deployments. The only headache that we experienced on the rollout was needing to manually set each user's Favorite Hosts.

We've finished testing FMS13 and are planning to update the production server and clients soon, so does anyone know of a way to set a client Favorite Hosts remotely?

This company has 85+ FM users now, so any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

----

Adam

Most are, some aren't. I don't have a lot of experience automating PCs via VBScript, but I'm sure the MIS folks can handle that area while I knock out the Mac deployment. If we can't get VBScript to work, we'll plan to fall back on the Local Hosts option.

All I need to do for the Local Hosts to work is bind/register the server with the Active Directory, right? Or do I just need to configure the FM server via LDAP? It's a VM w/ Windows Server 2008 Std R2, if that matters.

All I need to do for the Local Hosts to work is bind/register the server with the Active Directory, right? Or do I just need to configure the FM server via LDAP? It's a VM w/ Windows Server 2008 Std R2, if that matters.

None of these.

For Local Hosts to work bot the server and the clients need to be on the same subnet and both need to have Bonjour installed.  Bonjour is a zero-configuration discovery tool.  Think of it as "scanning" the subnet for available hosts.

Binding/Joining the server with AD is for authenticating users

Registering the server with an AD or LDAP directory service is for letting users find the server through the LDAP option

• 2 weeks later...
On Windows: they're stored in the registry so you can use VBscript or PowerShell to write it On Mac: it is stored in a plist file so you could make a generic one and install it
Is there documentation on how to write these specific registry entries on Windows? I'm having trouble finding this info.

This topic is 3766 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.