Import excel file with Word docs as embedded objects

This topic is 3782 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm trying to import an excel file that has an embedded Word document on each row.  I want the Word documents to be imported in and saved on a networked drive.

Is there anyway to do this?  I would be OK with temp. storing docs in a Container field for the initial import.

To insert the object into Excel, I'm using "Insert Object" , selecting the tab "Create from File" not "Create new" and browsing to the document and checking "Display as Icon".

The specific application is importing timekeeping records with a related status report word document attached to each line.

Any help or ideas on how to do this are appreciated. Thanks!

I don't think it can be done without some serious OS-level scripting to first get the word document out of the excel file, store information about what word document goes with what row in excel, importing the excel file (now stripped of all word docs) and then importing the file with the information on the link between the excel rows and the word docs.

Thanks for responding. Doesn't sound like something I have time for right now.

Our remote engineers want a quick, easy way to report their time and attach a related status report to each entry. They don't want to log into our system and then launch FM.  Tried FMGO but have to login to VPN first. Too time consuming.

I wonder if WebDirect allows you to attachinsert a word document. I'm thinking about exploring that option.

This topic is 3782 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.