Server Maintenance This Week. ×

If not using web direct, multiple connect to server from web to database via PHP

This topic is 3764 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I am rewriting our 15 satellite offices to be on one web server, instead of individual FMP software solutions.  I am rewriting anyway because my files are large and too much code and layouts are not used that happens from 20 years of adding on, it is just time... They will be able to share the database direct, but when it comes to iPad and iPhone, just downloading Filemaker Go and then emailing them the revised smaller designed layouts will give them the data access to the server database, correct? There is no need for webdirect.

I would also like to have our customers forms update directly into our database  from our website.  So, my plan is to use PHP to connect the web data into the same Filemaker Server.  Again, no need for webdirect and no need for those additional licenses, correct? 

Upgrading from Filemaker 12 to Filemaker 13 does not require us to use webdirect?

FileMaker GO has no relationship to WebDirect.  However, connections from FileMaker GO to the hosted files on FileMaker Server now require concurrent connections at an added cost.  Custom web connections, such as PHP, do not require concurrent connections.  Neither do FileMaker Pro client connections.

Steven

when it comes to iPad and iPhone, just downloading Filemaker Go and then emailing them the revised smaller designed layouts will give them the data access to the server database, correct? 

Does this imply that you are using the Data Separation model?

Even if you do, there is no need to email the users a file with the layouts and scripts (the UI file).  That file can stay hosted too and users can just connect through "open remote"

Keeping a copy of the UI file on each user's device (Go / Desktop) just adds to the deployment & maintenance hassle.

Upgrading from Filemaker 12 to Filemaker 13 does not require us to use webdirect?

Only if you were using IWP before

This topic is 3764 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.