making my own buttons.....

This topic is 8449 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Although there are a lot of nice buttons and things to be found on the Net I can't allways implement them in my existing interface. Wrong colours mostly.

So I decided to take a look around on how hard it is to make my own.....I found a program called ResEdit on the homepage of The Iconfactory. Gave it a shot, seems fairly simple for simple icons. Up to now...

My question is: does anybody know whether ResEdit is compatible with FM? Or is there another program for making buttons in FM?

Or am I way out of my league here....

I'm using FM 5.0 on an Imac.

------------------

Yeti

whenever i need to make my own buttons, i just make them in a graphic design program (Photoshop 5.5 until i get 6 wink.gif ). Then insert the graphic and define it as a button. Seems to be pretty easy to control the look you want that way.

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,

I fumbled around with Photoshop 5.0 and it does work fine.

Now I want to import the buttons I made. How would you do that? Using a container, I presume.

Can you shed some light on the next step(s)?

TIA

------------------

Yeti

if they are just going to be used as static buttons, then you shouldn't need to put them in a field. From Layout mode, choose Insert / Picture and find the jpg file to insert it in. Then click on it and choose Define / Button.

If you are using multiple buttons that will vary depending on different situations, you will need a repeating container field and place all the necessary images in the repetitions. Then you will need a calc. Container field that says :

"case(CHECK_FIELD="WHATEVER", getrepetition(Graphic_Repeating_Field, 1,

CHECK_FIELD="WHATEVER2", getrepetition(Graphic_Repeating_Field, 2,

CHECK_FIELD=" etc. etc. etc."

Get the jist. But you won't need any of the second type example for buttons that should always look the same and always mean the same thing.

Hope this helps.

Jeremy

• 2 weeks later...

Also, be aware that messing with ResEdit can violate your End-User License Agreement.

Not to mention that any database that is opened in that version will no longer be supportable by FMI Technical Support, and may (not likely, but possible) cause corruption in your databases due to crashes that may occur.

You're better off not ResEditing FMP....

-Dave

Oh, my lord....http://www.fmforums.com/ubb/images/icons/shocked.gif

I haven't looked it this message for a couple of days...and now everybody's saying that ResEdit will corrupt my computer/files!!

And I was just so happy with it....

I allready used a couple of buttons in FM. Should I throw these out as well??

BTW why is this programma corrupt?

This topic is 8449 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.