Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Hosted file won't open via script

bdarch

This topic is 3755 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi all - (not sure if this is a "server" question or a "scripting" question - apologies if I'm in the wrong forum)

We have FMP Server 12 hosing 50 files or so on an OSX ethernet. We typically open remote files from a small "control" panel on users machines firing an "openfile" script to bring up the right db.

All is well except just recently ONE file won't respond to the OpenFile script command - all the others work fine.

I can open the file manually via the "Open Remote" menu command - it's right there in the list of hosted files.

Can someone throw me a bone? What might I be missing?

Cheers,

Jeff in VA

Yup, you need to have the file reference in the External Data sources referring to the server file using the hosted server IP path.

Do you open all the files hosted in the server using open file script step in the "OPEN FILE" or the Launcher file what we can also call.?

P,

Thanks for your help. I'm still puzzled by this. To answer your question, the served files are opened locally with either a simple "open file" script command, or in some instances a "perform script" command, pointing to the served file, which opens it and starts the specified script. I can't remember why we set it up both ways... both script commands work except for the file in question.

One clue: in defining an "open file" script, I noticed that I can generally reference scripts belonging to served files, even if those files are not open locally yet. This is *not* true of the file that won't open... I can't reference any of the scripts in that file until it is open on the local machine. What might this indicate?

I need help understanding what you mean by your first line "refer to the server file using the hosted server IP path". I see no such reference pointing directly to the server in any of the External Data Sources in my files that can be opened by my "file open" script... what should I be looking for exactly?

With apologies for being so dense...

Why don't you just bypass all of this troublesome configuration and use the SnapShot link feature that FileMaker provides for opening hosted files from the desktop?

With the file on the server opened, under the FIle Menu, select Send/Save and then select Snapshot Link. Anyone to whom you give a copy of this link file (called a FMPSL file) who can otherwise access the hosted file can do so by clicking the FMPSL link.

Steven

Steven,

Thanks, I didn't know 'bout Snapshot Links - nice feature. However our deployment is based on a small "dashboard" file everyone keeps up and running, with buttons to open the file needed. It's a system that has been trouble-free for years.... until last week. :-)

I think Priyabrata might be on to something - can you shed any light on what he's describing? Or someway to re-set the parameters of the troublesome file?

Thanks so much.

He's talking about file references in the External Data Source management area of the file.

If you hosted the dashboard file on the server, then people would not have to keep it open.  They could just click on the FMPSL link and it would take them to that file.

Steven

Stephen - thanks for cluing me in about FMPSL's. I've been reading up on the feature, but I'm confused about the SL's function.

With apologies for the topic drift...

Initially I thought a SL was a "saved found set" - that would, when opened, return you to the original file with the found set restored. As one poster mentioned - a handy way to return to a previous worksession.

But now I'm realizing that SL is a *copy* of a found set - which opens up a facsimile of the original database - with all layouts and scripts, just not all the data (only the saved set). Am I right here?

This concept seems crazy to me... and subject to much confusion in a shared work environment. I can easily see people entering new data in the "wrong" file!

I'm confused about the efficacy of the FMPSL when working with data - but I do see its potential usefulness as a dashboard file without records - so thanks for that idea.

But now I'm realizing that SL is a *copy* of a found set - which opens up a facsimile of the original database - with all layouts and scripts, just not all the data (only the saved set). Am I right here?

No, you're wrong.  How did you come to that conclusion?  Knowing what you are doing may give us some clues.

Wim - I love being wrong!

After saving a fmpsl to the desktop, my line of (incorrect) deduction began with seeing both the original file - with server name appended in parentheses at the top of its window - and the opened fmpsl link - which does not show the server name at the top of its window.

But with testing I see a record added to one is added to the other. GREAT!

But why the name difference?

This topic is 3755 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.