Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Checkbox Colour

This topic is 3759 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

There is no "X" in a checkbox; there's only a box that can be either empty or checked. The color of the box is the same as the field's border (if they didn't change this in v.12).

So in other words no, you can't change the colour of the X!

Currently (as of FMP13), both the box and the "X" checkmark are properties in the stylesheet that are not exposed for editing in the Inspector, so you can't alter either of them.  Editing text color only affects the value labels; adding a fill results in filling the entire control (the area enclosing the checkboxes and value labels); and adding a line places a border around the entire control.

Your best option, liltbrockie, is to choose a built-in theme that comes closest to the look you want for checkboxes (as well as for scrollbars, tab controls, and a few other elements that are not yet exposed for styling in the Inspector), and work from there, styling the many elements that are exposed.  Hopefully, future FM versions will continue the trend of exposing more elements and properties for direct editing.

HTH,

Mark

• Like 1

Currently (as of FMP13), both the box and the "X" checkmark are properties in the stylesheet that are not exposed for editing in the Inspector, so you can't alter either of them.  Editing text color only affects the value labels; adding a fill results in filling the entire control (the area enclosing the checkboxes and value labels); and adding a line places a border around the entire control.

Your best option, liltbrockie, is to choose a built-in theme that comes closest to the look you want for checkboxes (as well as for scrollbars, tab controls, and a few other elements that are not yet exposed for styling in the Inspector), and work from there, styling the many elements that are exposed.  Hopefully, future FM versions will continue the trend of exposing more elements and properties for direct editing.

HTH,

Mark

Yeah sure... OK!

Thanks for your tips......

Maybe Filemaker will start using tickboxes as well! (Like most windows applications have been using for the last 20 years)!

Maybe Filemaker will start using tickboxes as well! (Like most windows applications have been using for the last 20 years)!

Why don't you design your own? Easy to do with some conditionally formatted text or a repeating field formatted as Boolean.

Why don't you design your own? Easy to do with some conditionally formatted text or a repeating field formatted as Boolean.

Could do ... I am aware there are workarounds... is there a nice easy way of doing this for a database with about 50 checkboxes spread over 20 layouts though can you recommend?

Yeah sure... OK!

Thanks for your tips......

I presume you mean a classic checkmark "√" instead of an "X."  I agree.  Windows and Mac, alike, have (natively) used checkmarks for years now; the "X" as a checkmark harkens back to the 80s or early 90s.

FWIW, FM 12 at least replaced the bitmapped "X" of yore with a vector version for smoother rendering, thus "modernizing" FM (as far as checkboxes go*) from circa 1986 ("The Power of Love") . . . all . . . the . . . way . . . to . . . circa 1991 ("Smells Like Teen Spirit").  Hopefully, in the future they'll bring it right into the 21st Century with a full-on checkmark instead (sounds like feature request time over on FM's feature request page).  (*Mind you, I'm quite enamored with FM 12/13's presentation-layer modernization, so this is just a nit-pick thing, not a major complaint.)

Meanwhile, you could, as Comment suggested, design your own, perhaps using it as an image fill for a button, or the like.  But, in the era of FM Go and WebDirect, there's a big advantage to sticking with native FileMaker controls as much as possible.  For me, the new, vector based "X" is sufficiently superior to the old bitmapped version that I've decided to stick with it and resist the temptation to design replacements.  That's just my take.

Mark

is there a nice easy way of doing this for a database with about 50 checkboxes spread over 20 layouts though can you recommend?

I am sorry, I am having trouble interpreting your question. Is it even a question - or are you just venting? Or even worse - are you venting at me?

I am sorry, I am having trouble interpreting your question. Is it even a question - or are you just venting? Or even worse - are you venting at me?

No No! I thank you for your input! I'm not venting.... just genuinely seeking guidance on the best / easiest way to go about changing a load of checkboxes to tick boxes using the methods you alluded to!

Don't worry I shall have a little look and see what I can find!

Well, assuming your checkboxes are using a value list of "1", just format the field as Boolean and set it to display non-zeros as "a", zeros as [empty]. Set the font to Webdings and make the field a button that toggles itself (if you like, you can use a parameter-driven script for that).

Once you have it working, you can just duplicate it and change the underlying field.

Have fun!

Although I need to point out that there seem to be some issues with using the Webdings font in v.13 under Mac OS:

http://fmforums.com/forum/topic/90224-making-a-container-colour-with-calc/?p=415210

I am not sure where this stands ATM.

Ahh thats OK... We would never use Macs here anyway... EVER lol

This topic is 3759 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.