Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Save a copy as

This topic is 3758 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Probably a silly question, but . . . When I run a solution locally on my desktop machine I have a closer script that saves a copy as to a different location. This is to avoid Time Machine backing up open files. I exclude the folder where my active files reside from TM backups and allow backup of the copies. Works fine. When the files are hosted however, this command is not available (and throws error 3).Why not? There's likely an obvious answer I'm not seeing. The hosted files can save PDF files on the client machine for example. Just curious why the hosted file can't save a copy to a location of my choice. Of course I'm using the FMS backup scheme, both progressive and hourly, but even when backing up every two hours, with a maximum of 99 backups available this only allows 8 days and a bit of history. Time Machine offers much more. Oh, of course I've excluded the FileMaker Server folder from TM backups on the host machine.

Easy enough to use an FMS schedule to copy a backup to another location for TM backup.  Look for the white paper named "Backups!  More Backups"

As to the Save As not being available for a hosted file: since a FM files hold both data and schema, that would be too easy for files to be "stolen" or  have multiple copies of the file strewn around the network and people working in a local copy when they think they are working in the hosted copy.

Write an OS level script similar to those in the white paper that will find the most recent backup and copy to your location of choice, and then use the FMS schedule to schedule that OS script.  Or use the scheduling features of the OS itself.

This topic is 3758 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.