Strange quirk with the portrait size iPad layout template

fmow

This topic is 3756 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

This is more a heads up or a quirk but it has to be pointed out that when you use the ready made iPad border around your layouts design area, important one that is, it's actually showing you the wrong place to put your layout because of  in the Go application is actually taking up some space that goes unaccounted for. That could almost be considered a bug actually, it certainly isn't a feature. In any case heads up to anyone designing for the iPad if you've figured it out yet.

Can you post screenshots or a sample file demonstrating the issue? In my experience, the iPad layout templates perfectly correspond to the window content area with the FileMaker bottom toolbar turned on and the iOS status bar (carrier, network reception, time, battery) not disabled. I did find that Get ( WindowContentArea ) on iPhone actually includes the FileMaker Go window title bar, which we can't use in our layouts, so we have to subtract 31 to get the correct value; but it doesn't do that on iPad.

This isn't a substitute for FileMaker's layout size templates, but I wrote an iOS window size preview module to help when I'm designing for FileMaker Go.

Can you post screenshots or a sample file demonstrating the issue? In my experience, the iPad layout templates perfectly correspond to the window content area with the FileMaker bottom toolbar turned on and the iOS status bar (carrier, network reception, time, battery) not disabled. I did find that Get ( WindowContentArea ) on iPhone actually includes the FileMaker Go window title bar, which we can't use in our layouts, so we have to subtract 31 to get the correct value; but it doesn't do that on iPad.

This isn't a substitute for FileMaker's layout size templates, but I wrote an iOS window size preview module to help when I'm designing for FileMaker Go.

I ll get back to you on that one tomorrow J. I ll try to play around with the bars on and off too. At the moment I am about 1.3 cm further down in my layout from the template with ios status bar on, the top bar of fm go on and the lower off. I ll post some screenshots soon.

post-109020-0-90569700-1391640478_thumb.

post-109020-0-87802200-1391640678_thumb.

post-109020-0-84880300-1391640691_thumb.

It looks like you have the bottom toolbar turned off in FileMaker Go. The template dimensions assume that the toolbar is turned on. Turning the toolbar off gives you another 44 points of window content area to work with — 973 points instead of 929.

Turning the iOS status bar off would give you another 20 points. Since this is a preference in FileMaker Go that developers don't have control of, you may want to include some layout object anchoring to account for it.

• Like 1

It looks like you have the bottom toolbar turned off in FileMaker Go. The template dimensions assume that the toolbar is turned on. Turning the toolbar off gives you another 44 points of window content area to work with — 973 points instead of 929.

Turning the iOS status bar off would give you another 20 points. Since this is a preference in FileMaker Go that developers don't have control of, you may want to include some layout object anchoring to account for it.

I see what you mean J. I suspected it was after we talked. But I don't understand what I should do for anchoring.

Great job btw with the geolocation blogs, great stuff, was reading them last night. 

For anchoring, just make sure that there's at least one object to the layout that either floats vertically (is not anchored top or bottom) or is anchored to the bottom, and the layout will expand to fill in the difference between the window size you designed for and the window size you actually have.

This topic is 3756 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.