Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Yet another filtered value list

sfpx

This topic is 3731 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

This is driving me completely crazy.

This must be so simple.

I have a filtered value list in my hosted database that does not work until I go to the related layout and come back.

I tried to replicate the behavior by creating the following simple database that is a simplified version of my hosted db.

9h3xZLu.png

Job1Only field is a global calculated field that is equal to 1.

Job id number 1 is "Manager"

I have a value list that I put on the Holding layout that is used to select a manager from the list of managers of the company related to the holding.

MRndVlI.png

So it's a pretty simple filtered value list.

Everything works perfectly on my local simplified test.

On my real hosted database, the value list on the holding layout will not work ("no values defined") until I go on the "CompanyEmployees" layout and then come back on the Holding layout.

I don't get it.

Any idea on the cause of this problem ?

Very nice job illustrating the issue. This kind of reminds of a question you might see on the FileMaker certification test. :cool:

I think I've seen this behavior when you're wanting to display values from a second field in a value list, but the first related record (in Managers) has no value in that field. I don't know if it would be called a bug, but I'd call it unexpected behavior at least.

First, have you tried changing the "related values starting from" to CompanyEmployees? Worth a try.

You might work around this by defining a new field in Employees that contains only the ID of managers. It could be a calculated field or auto-enter. Then you could use "all values" with that field instead of only related with your existing field.

This topic is 3731 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.