External Authentication setup woes

This topic is 3681 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi,

I currently have two older mac mini servers. One is a filemaker 11 server and the other is a file server with the users and groups on it. I am able to establish external authentication between the two servers so I can have one login for filemaker and the file server just fine.

I am developing a new Filemaker 13 system on two additional mac mini new servers (mavericks) using Filemaker 13 server on one machine and the other is going to be a file server with the users and groups on it. Pretty much the same setup as the one described above.

My problem is that on the new setup I have Open Directory on the second server (the file server) on and in system pref > users > login options > Network account server on the Filemaker server I have added the server to the list and it is green. I have added the corresponding external authentication users in Filemaker security as well however when I go to login to the Filemaker database... no luck.

Just for fun (since the old system and new system are on the same network) I added the old existing authentication machine into the system pref > users > login options > Network account server list on the new Filemaker server and I am indeed able to connect!

So what is my problem with the new server authentication? My belief is that something isn't setup right on the new file server (authentication server). Any help is much appreciated.

-Matt

My problem is that on the new setup I have Open Directory on the second server (the file server) on and in system pref > users > login options > Network account server on the Filemaker server I have added the server to the list and it is green. I have added the corresponding external authentication users in Filemaker security as well however when I go to login to the Filemaker database... no luck.

First of all; remove the old server from the Login options.  You want to make sure you are testing ONLY against the new server.

The next thing to try is to see if you can log into the FMS machine itself (into the OS, not into a FM file) using a account that exists on the OD server.  Make sure that there are no conflicts (same account names) with FMS machine accounts.

If you can log into the FMS machine's OS with an OD account then FMS will be able to use the OD too.

The binding between the FMS machine and the OD is not correct, so do some research on that.  Different versions of OSX have different ways of doing that.  That's the first thing that needs to work and you'll know it is working when you can use an OD account to log into the FMS machine's OS.

This topic is 3681 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.