Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Advice on Active Directory external authentication

This topic is 3723 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

We are having trouble getting external authentication working for FMS 13 on a Mac running OS 10.9 (Mavericks).  Filemaker's knowledgebase has a whitepaper on External Authentication, but it dates back to FMS v8.  Also it discusses Open Directory authentication from a Mac, not authentication to an AD server.  

I don't suppose anyone has a step-by-step guide for AD authentication on Mavericks, or any tips? 

Thanks!

The white paper is still valid, the only difference is in how you bind your Mavericks machine to AD, and that's purely an OS config not a FM config.  Once you can log into the Mavericks machine itself (not logging into a FM file yet), then you know that the OS is able to handle the AD authentication properly.  Since FMS hands off the authentication request to the OS and does nothing but parse the OS's response, that is what you need to find out first.

Apple has a bad track record breaking AD binding with every new version so look at sites like macwindows.com for info on what works and what does not.

Thanks Wim.  You're right it was an OS level thing to get the AD setup correctly.    I think we just had to deselect the "Mappings" checkboxes on the Directory Utility.  Also, we ran into a problem because I had a local account name on the Mac that was the same as my AD user name. 

This topic is 3723 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.