Need help New to Filemaker

This topic is 3683 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Im trying to build a database for my work which is at a music venue. I have already built a layout to record all information at the end of every night . What I now need to do is make it so if I look up a particular band I can see laid out the date of every time they have played as well as other information such as the amount of people who paid to get in and such. 

Hi Stone and welcome to the forum,

I moved  your topic from "FileMaker 13 General Discussion" to "Custom Themes in FM12”,  because the topic posted to his reserve for questions about FileMaker versions 13, and not asking questions on how to earlier versions.

Your question could have been moved to several different ones including; Watercooler, Relationships, Portals, etc.

Lee

Sorry, I made a correction to the punctuation and Dragon change this first part of this post.

Edited by Lee Smith
corrected error by Dragon Dictate, sorry

This has probably more to do with data architecture than with themes.

Stone: we need more info on what tables you currently have.  At a minimum you'll need a Bands table and a Performances table.  It sounds like you have the latter already and doing data input there.  But if you want to look up a band and see its performances you'll need the Bands table.  While you are at it you probably may want to add a Venues table too...

that's too bare bones at this point.  Like I mentioned earlier you need to add more tables.

A "Bands" table for sure, your "try2" table then becomes "events"

You also need a "Venues" table.

Whenever you see fields like Support1, Support2, Support3, that is a clue that Support needs to be its own table.  That gives you the added benefit that you can add an unlimited # of supports to a performance.

Your main data entry will be in Events.  When you create a new record there you then pick a band from the "Bands" table.  That way you can also create a layout that is based on "Bands" and see all of their Events (performances).

So your first task would be to draw an ERD of your solution and then start building tables for each of the entities on that ERD...

• Like 1

I actually uploaded the wrong file earlier sorry about that. I added tables for Bands and Venue. I still cant figure out how to make a list of all prior performances. I tried using a portal but I must have made a mistake or that is the wrong direction to go. If you could take another look see I would be very thankful. Sorry I know dealing with someone new like me must be kinda annoying.

Events.zip

See if the attached file helps you. I had something similar lying around, so I adapted the file to your entities.

(If you're managing more than one venue, you need a Venues table, and in Events use a foreign key instead of the name field; otherwise it's implicit that all events take place at the same venue, and you wouldn't even need the name field.)

Be aware that the fancy stuff is just that – fancy. You could do things like select bands and create/delete related records (i..e. portal rows) with other methods. But this gives you something to play with and study.

Before you do that, though, try to grasp how the entities relate to each other (once you've identified them …) and how these relationships work. This is fundamental to everything else you'll do in Filemaker.

EventsAndActs_eos.fmp12.zip

Sorry I know dealing with someone new like me must be kinda annoying.

No need for that, helping is what this forum is all about so don't hold back.  We'll let you know what makes sense and what does but in the end we're here to help you through that learning curve.

This topic is 3683 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.