Server Maintenance This Week. ×

FIleMaker Server Install Help

This topic is 3708 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I have installed FIleMaker Server and everything is working fine when devices are connect to the same network as the FM Server. My issue is that when I take a device, iPad or iPhone, off the network I am no longer able to connect to the server. I cannot figure out where to move from to here to get the devices connected to the server. 

I apologize for being a novice in this subject. This is my first experience with installing a server. Thank you for your help.

This is a network issue. You need to use something like VPN to connect. Think of it the same way you would when you're off your local network using any other application. For example you wouldn't expect to access a document on your home computer when at the local coffee shop. FMS is the same in that sense.

When using VPN it's best to have a static ip adddress to start. This is usually set up with your ISP at an extra cost. After that there are free VPN clients. Google VPN. Also, I believe , dynamic dns.

VPN creates a secure tunnel and puts you virtually inside the target network.

You'll need a VPN Server.  OSX Server has one that is easy to configure on the iPad.  The iPad has system settings where you can specify the IP address or DNS name of your VPN Server.

If you are not worried too much about security then you can just configure your router/firewall to allow traffic on port 5003 (what FM Go uses to talk to FMS) and forward that traffic to the internal IP address of  your FMS box.

If you do want to use VPN then you will have to configure your firewall/router to open the VPN port and forward that to your VPN Server.  And leave port 5003 closed on the router.

Thank you for the responses.

If I understand correctly, the only way to connect to your server via FileMaker GO is through a VPN connection?

No, it's by use of a network connection, of which a VPN is one type. Re-read Wim's explanation.  All the parts are there.  Come back if you still have questions, and we can help you answer them.

Steven

This topic is 3708 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.