Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Moving From Dev Database to Production Database FM 12

This topic is 3694 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am moving a FileMaker solution which been in development for some time from a development database to a production database. (The solution uses an external SQL database.)

After building the solution on the development SQL db, I just got my first look at the production db, and discovered something I did not anticpate. Although structurally the same, and with identical table names, the SQL database itself has a different name. Is this going to be a problem? How big?

Thanks for any advice.

Do you have an ODBC connection to the SQL database?  

I don't think the change in the name of the SQL database should effect your FM datebase at all.  You're going to want to change the Database Source Name (DSN) by reconfiguring the ODBC driver on your Filemaker host computer.  On a Mac you can reconfigure the ODBC driver using the ODBC Manager or ODBC aministrator apps -- not sure what you do on Windows.

Within Filemaker, under "Manage External Data Sources" you will want to be sure that you point to proper database -- what ever you called it when you configured your DSN.  Your table occurrences (in the relationship graph) can be called anything you want -- they're all just aliases.

Hope that makes sense. 

• Like 1

Matthew - Thank you!  I was getting an ODBC error that referenced the old database name, and had a sleep deprived 1:00 AM panic attack about it, I figured out what the error was when I woke up, Sometimes you're just better off going to sleep!

This topic is 3694 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.