Using Drop Down Box On Layout Form

WHALERS1988

This topic is 3704 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

To anyone that can help! 

I am using Filemaker Pro Ver 12

I have only one table called Customers with data files:  Account#, First Name, Second Name

I would like to use my Drop Down Box like a search box so when the user clicks on the drop down box and finds the account number they wish to select, all the other fields such as First Name and Last Name

will be displayed on the Layout form in the fields that I have called then.  First Name and Last Name are the field names.

My question lies, are these fields that I am trying to have displayed based on the drop down box, am I making them a normal field or a portal field?  How or what tool am I using to place these fields on the layout form, in order to have them automatically display these fields within that record which corresponds to the account number that was chosen?

I am new to this version of FM and I would like to know how the heck I can accomplish my task.

Any help is much appreciated!  Thank you.

Here's one way you could do this:

1. Define a global field gAccount#.

2. Place it on the layout and format it as a drop-down list, using a value list based on the Account# field.

3. Attach a script trigger to the field to run a script OnObjectSave.

4. Have the script perform a find, searching in the Account# field for the value in gAccount#.

This topic is 3704 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.