Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Encounter crash on new Mac Pro (graphics issues?)

This topic is 3588 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Have a very frequent crash on my FM Server 13 ever since we upgrade to version 13 on a brand new installed Mac Pro. Details are in the pictures. Here's the spec:

Mac Pro 2013 3.7GHz with 32GB of RAM

28 databases around 160GB in size.

AMD FirePro D300 2GB graphics card

Mavericks 10.9.2

FileMaker Server 13.0.1.224

Description of the Problem

After running FileMaker server and serving daily 30 FM clients (internal office) and 1000+ CWP XML external visitors, the fmserverd will go into "Not Responding" mode and sometimes the Admin Console will just gone missing with "Failed to load widgetsets" things. Admin Console is easy to fix, I just do "fmsadmin restart adminserver -y" and everything is fine.

But the "Not Responding" for the process fmserverd is harder to solve and require stop/start via Admin Console, which is not entirely convenience given I can't always detect when it is "Not Responding".

The strange behavior is that even Activity Monitor report "Not Responding" for fmserverd and its "Recent hang" count is incrementing rapidly, the database server appear to still operating fine and continue to serve CWP XML request.

After some days, the fmserverd will totally go missing and crash. Attached is the relevant crash-log.

I would like to engage this community and find out if anyone has tested FileMaker server 13 on the recent Mac Pro with its graphics driver (just suspect is the driver fault).

Note:

I have no Maverick server installed. Have no Adobe PDF plugin installed. Have no separate web application hosting also.

Any idea will be appreciated :)

I also post it at here:

http://forums.filemaker.com/posts/4db09aca05

https://fmdev.filemaker.com/message/143092

fm_crashed_2.png

fm_crashed.png

A bit further down in the 2nd screenshot is a reference to downloading thumbnails.  Do you have pictures in containers and store them externally?

Play around a bit with the different thumbnail options to see if one of them gets you to a stable place.

And open a support ticket with FMI.

• Newbies

I'm seeing the same behaviour (fmserverd not responding, recent hangs increasing, but seemingly still working) on an older iMac with a nice clean install of Mavericks 10.9.2 and FMS 13.0.1.224. It did eventually stop responding entirely and require an FM Server restart via the admin console. This is my test environment before we migrate to a new Mac Pro. Since I'm seeing similar behaviour on different hardware, I don't think it's tied to the Mac Pro. -JP

• Newbies

I'm seeing the same behaviour (fmserverd not responding, recent hangs increasing, but seemingly still working) on an older iMac with a nice clean install of Mavericks 10.9.2 and FMS 13.0.1.224. It did eventually stop responding entirely and require an FM Server restart via the admin console. This is my test environment before we migrate to a new Mac Pro. Since I'm seeing similar behaviour on different hardware, I don't think it's tied to the Mac Pro. -JP

So good to know I am not the only weird guy here because Internet did not really search out much things. JPT, have you any crash report, most of the crash report I have to do with PDF or graphics issues. I am not sure if it is graphics driver or not. But since your iMac is old and its graphics driver should be mature I would like to see what the crash report thread crashed at. Mind to share with us :)

• 1 month later...

I'm getting frequent crashes of FMP13 running on Mavericks on a new MacPro.  Turning off the screen saver and just turning off the display helped reduce crashes from 5-7x per day, to 1 every 2-3 days.  When it was crashing all the time, the crash reports all referenced the CNS plugins that I'm using.   Hoping Apple, Filemaker and/or CNS will get things fixed.  FM11 on my old MacPro was solid.

I'm not using the server version of FMP.  The plug-ins are correct for the version I have.  Would the server version be more stable?  Cost is significantly higher, but may be worth it if I don't have to remotely restart Filemaker via my iPhone when I'm out of the office.

• 1 month later...

This topic is 3588 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.