Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Server hosting

This topic is 3677 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am not sure if this is the right place to ask this question and if it is please let me know:

I currently have 2 filemaker solutions hosted by FMS13 on a dedicated server my hospital division purchased. Currently it only runs the filmmaker server program. 

My division also wants to run an oracle database off the same server but I am wondering if it is a good idea to do that. Problem is purchasing another dedicated machine for the oracle database is very costly. I am wondering if anyone has any ideas or tips about running two different programs on a dedicated server simultaneously. 

Sorry I am new to this whole server networking stuff.

Thanks

Don't do it.

Most of the arguments that you will get will about the technical / performance and most will say: "a robust server can handle both tasks"

But my angle (and from the best practices) has to do with risk management.  If either the FM solution or the Oracle solution is somewhat critical, then do not combine them on the same machine, or risk taking them both down at the same time.

If you do combine them, make sure to have the proper restore procedures in place to restore one or the other, or both in case the machine does fail.

Don't do it.

Most of the arguments that you will get will about the technical / performance and most will say: "a robust server can handle both tasks"

But my angle (and from the best practices) has to do with risk management.  If either the FM solution or the Oracle solution is somewhat critical, then do not combine them on the same machine, or risk taking them both down at the same time.

If you do combine them, make sure to have the proper restore procedures in place to restore one or the other, or both in case the machine does fail.

Thanks, so should I tell my division I advise them not to host the oracle database on the dedicated server? Should I tell them it would be better to purchase another dedicated server for the oracle one? Servers are so expensive in the hospital here. 

My gut and the Best Practices say: get a new dedicated server for the Oracle database.  In the long run that is going to give you the least amount of trouble.

That's the short answer.

I obviously don't know the first thing about the FM solution, the Oracle solution, the server specs, or any of the other variables that make up the deployment or its risks.

The long answer is: do a thorough risk assessment of what it would mean to have both solutions on the same server.

The short term cost savings may turn out to be anything but that.

The decision is not  a simple "what coat rack do I hang my coat on".

My gut and the Best Practices say: get a new dedicated server for the Oracle database.  In the long run that is going to give you the least amount of trouble.

That's the short answer.

I obviously don't know the first thing about the FM solution, the Oracle solution, the server specs, or any of the other variables that make up the deployment or its risks.

The long answer is: do a thorough risk assessment of what it would mean to have both solutions on the same server.

The short term cost savings may turn out to be anything but that.

The decision is not  a simple "what coat rack do I hang my coat on".

Sounds good thank you for the help. I will probably arrange a meeting among with some IT experts to see what the bet possible solution is. Thank you again for the help. This forum is great

They likely are nowhere near as expensive as the loss of either or both databases would be.  Wim's advice is right on target.  Do not combine these systems.

Steven

Thank you, I will let the division know what the impact is. Maybe I can get them to use Filemaker instead of the oracle database program so that I can host it on the same machine with FMS as I am with the other database. If not they will have to go with another dedicated server. Thanks for the help!!

This topic is 3677 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.