Merge Fields Trick Not Working

fmow

This topic is 3686 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

In FMP 12 one used to be able to do a simple trick with merge fields, where you formatted the first letter in the text (the "<" for example)the format you wanted to display and the rest with any small fonts you chose so you could have its size manageable on your layout. I had got hooked to this, but now I can't seem to replicate the action in fmp13...

well, what do you know... it works here too... albeit I can't locate the merge fields where I consistently got that behaviour with. It reformatted the text, after I d formatted it to my liking. Logically filemaker hasn't tampered at all with this, so it should work as in fmp12. I ll post it if/when I can replicate it. 

If the merge field had a style attached, and if you changed that style for that theme and then update the theme, then it would change.  That's one of the beauties (and traps) with 13.  I try to save every style I might use again since it stores less code but for ones very unusual (like your example), I assign it to a Misc text style and never update it to its style or theme.  Then Misc will never change for all the odd formatting I might have applied.

• Like 1

Hi LaRetta and thanks for the great response as per usual.

Now I get it, :) :) .

It's my new to do to start playing around with themes, I got quite a few layouts to optimize for webdirect. 

This topic is 3686 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.