Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Container data path not working as expected.

This topic is 3665 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello all!

This is an annoying issue.

I am trying to setup a container data path in FMS 13 on OS X 10.9.

The directory is on a FW drive. No matter what I try, the server saves the files in FMS /Library subfolders. 

Here are the steps that I have taken:

1. Set the container data path in FMS  to filemaker:/FMMedia/Media/ and successfully saved the changes.

2. Made sure the drive (FMMedia) and the folder (Media) have full read/write permissions for the fm server user, and even made it the owner. To test, I even tried setting the permission to read/write for all users.

3. Set up the manage containers with the correct path.

4. If I test the file non-hosted in FM client, it works great and saves the files as expected. Once I host it, there is no error when inserting a file in the container, but the files are saved in the /Library FMS directories again.

I have tried many variations and still am having no luck, even trying to setup a test folder on the root of the main drive. Thank you kindly for any responses :-)

You cannot use external volumes as part of the FMS directory structure, nor for that matter any folder outside the FMS directory structure.

This a basic security concept about FMS.

Fixed! We realized, that yes - you can indeed set an external drive as the container path, you just have to make sure that the database that you are using is actually stored in the path specified in the additional databases folders. At that point, you can specify any location for the external container. 

This topic is 3665 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.