System starts summarizing

This topic is 8110 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Another puzzling one.

Why does my system start to summarize on a related file when I sometimes change layouts, even when none of the summary fields, or even related fields at all, are on the current layout ?

This phenomenon does not appear to have any pattern to it.

All files are open all the time.I've even checked to see that the file that starts summarizing is not open in a layout that contains the summary fields.

Is it anything to do with the start up script as I changed this recently? I do seem to get the summarizing (which is time consuming and irritating) on start up. Should you always open a file to a particular type of layout (e.g. without summary fields) ?

What about fields that reference the summary field? For instance, if there's a calculation field on the layout with a GetSummary function, or if there's a field that references a field that references the summary field, then FileMaker may have to calculate what the summary data is before it can display the layout.

Chuck

• 2 weeks later...

Check your layouts that are having this issue for portals. Then check the relationship that the portal is using. Make sure any "sort by" fields defined in the relationship are not non-indexable fields.

Thanks for the replies, gentlemen.

The field that was summarizing (fraction summary) was in a distantly related file, but that file remained open in a layout that contained the summary. I made sure that that file always returned to a layout without the field after scripting. Seems to have cured the problem, though I still don't see why it should have happened at all.

This topic is 8110 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.