Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Trouble converting local styles to new theme

This topic is 3625 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have an almost completed solution where I started with the "Classic Theme", but have customized every field, portal, button, etc. Everything is a local style, and I would like to now convert my work into a new theme. I started on one layout, and it was very straightforward to select objects, select and save them as a new style, and then save the "Classic Theme" as a new "Custom Theme." So far, so good. However, when I go to another layout, I don't seem to be able to add to the "Custom Theme" I'm building. I can do the same thing where I save new styles, but the current theme for this second layout is, of course, still the "Classic Theme." My only choice seems to be to save the styles as yet another new theme, or first change the layout to my "Custom Theme." The problem with that is that most of the styles are still wrong, so when I change to my "Custom Theme", everything gets altered incorrectly. So,

1) Is there a way to easily add styles from multiple layouts to the same "Custom Theme"?

2) Once I start changing a theme on one layout, how do I apply that theme to the next layout without actually updating all the objects on that layout?

Thanks,

Michael

However, when I go to another layout, I don't seem to be able to add to the "Custom Theme" I'm building. I can do the same thing where I save new styles, but the current theme for this second layout is, of course, still the "Classic Theme."

Hi Michael,

Styles belong to a Theme so you must change the second layout to your new theme before adding new Styles or changing existing ones.  After you've added or modified your Styles for your custom theme, you need to then update the custom theme (note that its button in the Styles or Appearances tab turns red indicating changes were made but not yet updated).  Once you save the changes to the Theme, it replicates those changes to the same Theme throughout your solution.

1) Is there a way to easily add styles from multiple layouts to the same "Custom Theme"?

Not really but it is pretty simple.  Select an object with a style you like and, from the Appearance tab, select the UP next to the Style's pop-up (such as the footer).  Go to your new style, select the footer and select the DOWN then save the Style and if you want it replicated throughout your layouts, then save the changes to the Theme.

Using the UP and DOWN works for both the style and the Styles states (such as normal, hover, etc).

2) Once I start changing a theme on one layout, how do I apply that theme to the next layout without actually updating all the objects on that layout?

Save the Styles changes to your custom Theme then save the Theme changes.  All layouts with the same theme will change.  If you then change your new layout to this theme, all objects on the layout will switch to your custom theme's styles.   

Generally, it is easier to duplicate an existing style which is closest to what you want and then use a single layout to change the styles as you wish (saving each style as you do and then also saving the changes to the Theme).  Only then begin your design in the new file.  When you create new layouts (after creating a custom theme), your first custom theme will be assigned to new layouts so always create your most-used custom theme first.  :-)

Edited by LaRetta
  • Like 1

Thanks, LaRetta. I really appreciate the tips. So my only remaining issue is that when I change a layout from classic theme to my custom theme, I lose all the formatting on that layout. My workaround has been to duplicate the layout, change the theme to my custom theme, delete everything, copy all the fields and objects from the duplicate layout, and paste back into the original layout. That way I don't lose any custom formatting and can apply or save styles as I need. The only thing I seem to lose is my tab order. This has been working well as far as I can tell, so no need to respond unless I'm getting myself into trouble…then PLEASE DO!

Michael

This topic is 3625 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.