Data Separation Model & MirrorSync Setup

This topic is 3601 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am working to implement MirrorSync to an existing solution.  I am using a data separation model with (1) UI file and (4) data files.

Prior to finding MirrorSync, I was trying to implement my own sync solution, but discovered that is like reinventing a wheel that has already been developed!  As a result of that process, the table occurences & layouts for the tables that need to be synchronized have already been setup in the main UI file.  I see in the documentation that you recommend that the MirrorSync table and scripts be located in a data file.  Can you help me understand the reason for this?  Would it work to use the UI file?  If not, I can copy & paste the table occurrences from the UI file to a data file.  Does it matter which of the four data files I use?

Thank you for your help!  I am very excited to see your tool in action, hopefully soon!

The main reason to use the data file, as opposed to the UI file, is so that you don't lose the contents of the MirrorSync table when you do an update. If you replace the UI file and lose the MirrorSync table, then it will look to the MirrorSync table as if this is a new file that has never been synced before. At best, this will lead to a long initial sync, and at worst, it could lead to duplicate or deleted records. By storing the MirrorSync table with the data, you have the ability to replace the UI file and still do incremental syncs with the data file.

I forgot to mention, it doesn't make any different which file you put the layout and scripts in - it's where the table lives that matters.

Thank you Jesse.  From your response, I plan to copy the MirrorSync table to a data file, and the MirrorSync layout & scripts to the UI file as that is where all the existing sync table occurences & layouts have already been setup.  Could you please confirm my understanding?

I really appreciate how promptly you have responded!

I ran into one problem... I have copied the MirrorSync table to a data file & the scripts to the UI file.  I also created a table occurence & layout in the UI file for the MirrorSync table (that lives in the data file).  I just went to copy the layout to paste it into the UI layout and am getting the error message "There is no script called 'MirrorSync'. That must exist before proceeding."  The file I selected at the beginning of the setup process was the data file.  I didn't change the script names after pasting them into the UI file.  Would it work to paste the scripts into the data file so I can paste the layout in & then copy & paste the layout from the data file to the UI file?

I am willing to redo the sync table occurrences & layouts in the data file if that is necessary.... I was just trying to be efficient & leverage what had already been setup in the UI file.

Thank you.

I think I solved my own problem!  I used the "previous" button & selected the UI file versus the data file.  I had to rename the layout back to be simply "MirrorSync", but after doing that, the layout copy button works.  Thanks!

I thought that would work, but when I try to go on to the next step (while the UI file is specified), I am now getting a different error message that reads as follows:

java.sql.SQLException:Error 3: Unknown error (JDBC URL: jdbc:fmp360://127.0.0.1/PPS Menu Remote, SSL:

false / SQL statement: SELECT _gSync1 FROM MirrorSync WHERE -script='MirrorSync setup' AND

-script.param='CheckVersion')

I used the previous button to try & change the file back to the data file and got a "Validation failed" error message that reads:

"You will not be able to successfully sync.  There is no script called 'MirrorSync'.

That must exist before proceeding.  Would you like to save changes anyway?"

Perhaps it would be simplest in the long run to have everything reside in the data file as you designed the tool to work.... please advise if you still don't think that is necessary.

I would recommend getting rid of the MirrorSync stuff you've done so far (layouts, tables, scripts, and external data sources), and redo the setup with the UI file. Once you've complete that successfully, you can copy and paste the MirrorSync table to the data file, and then re-point that table occurrence in the UI relationship graph to point to the external MirrorSync table.

This topic is 3601 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.