Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Server time for creation/modification timestamps

This topic is 3628 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

The online documentation for MirrorSync explains the need to create a modification timestamp field for the server (host) time for instances when non-syncing users will be accessing the server from different time zones while the server is running.  I have a couple questions.

1) I am not positive that the primary user will be directly accessing the server (she lives in a different time zone), but it is likely.  Is it okay to go ahead & setup the program as if she will vs. having to change it later when the needs arises for her to do so?  Will there be problems with this configuration if all the users end up using the program offline & synching to the server?

2) The documentation only discusses the need to have a secondary timestamp field for modifications, however, when going to setup MirrorSync, it seems to indicate that a secondary timestamp is also necessary for creation.  Do I need to use the same auto-enter calculation for a creation host timestamp field as for the modification host timestamp?

1) There is no harm in using the server modification timestamp, so if you're not sure, go ahead and do it that way.

2) It is not necessary to compensate for clock drift on the creation timestamp. We only use that field during initial sync, and only to compare if it matches in the online and offline file (to tell whether a record is the same record, if the primary key also matches).

Thanks for the fast response.  I think I have everything setup for the intial sync.  I love how simple the setup to use it has been, but now to see if I did it correctly!

Would you ever consider removing the reference to the creation timestamp for different timezones in the on-screen tutorial during setup?

Could you 

Thanks for the fast response.  I think I have everything setup for the intial sync.  I love how simple the setup to use it has been, but now to see if I did it correctly!

Would you ever consider removing the reference to the creation timestamp for different timezones in the on-screen tutorial during setup?

Could you tell me specifically where you're referring to? I don't know of any place where we mention adjusting the creation timestamp for different time zones.

Sure, during the configuration under the section "Time Zone Considerations", after selecting "Yes" to the question "Will directly connected (non-syncing) users be accessing FileMaker Server from different time zones than where the server is running?", the notice becomes visible stating "NOTE: You will need to use the server time for creation/modification timestamps.  See the documentation for details." 

The documentation only discusses the modification timestamp, which agrees with what you have told me.  The reference to the creation timestamps was confusing to me, but perhaps most people read right over it and it is fine!

This topic is 3628 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.