This topic is 2624 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.
By Donald Clark
I have a FileMaker server 13.v10 database solution that changed somehow during development and now does not display several WebDirect objects properly.
For starters, the text shows up as white on a white background, which it did not do before. We have been and are using the Cool Grey theme.
Other problems with display:
1. 3 value lists will not display: One a regular list from a set of values, another list from a related layout, and a third a filtered list from another layout. Another value list works normally
2. A picture in a container field (locally stored, not external yet) does not show.
3. A filtered, sorted portal does not show the records, nor are they accessible in the portal. The filtering and sorting are straightforward.
We have tried several things to correct the issue:
1. Made a new layout, grouped everything together and paste it on the new layout.
2. Made a new layout and made the fields and portal from scratch.
3. Simplified and changed the relationships to the portal
4. Substituted simplified relationships for the value lists (just for testing.
5. Tried the db on FM Server 16 and made most of the changes above, nothing was different.
6. Used Dropdowns, Popups, and radio buttons, no change in behavior
7. We had FMDiff examine the db for corruption, but they found no problems, so file corruption is not an issue. We also compacted the db in order to reindex all indexed fields, but that did not help.
Everything works fine using FM client. Only WebDirect has problems.
A photo showing the problems on WebDirect is attached, as is a photo showing the fields properly displayed in FileMaker Client. Please forgive the look and feel; the photos show the layout as we made changes and are troubleshooting.
Has anyone seen this before? Do you have any ideas how to fix it?
Thanks for your help.
By Jason H
I'm trying to find out if its possible to create a web based FileMaker 13 solution (WebDirect) where I can remotely upload files to the db and someone else can remotely download those files.
All the reading that I have been doing with regards to WebDirect doesn't touch on containers at all.
Is this scenario possible and what would be the basics of making it happen (how to initiate an upload or downlaod, contain setup, etc)
I'm looking to setup a solution for sales reps via WebDirect to where each sales rep can login but only be able to view records assigned to them.
How difficult would this be to setup?
Right now I have a layout that has a drop down with each sales rep name. Could I make additional layouts and have some sort of identifier for each sales rep and then when they log in with their user, that user is only allowed access to that layout/records?
By Jesper Søholm Biberkopf
First a disclaimer. I'm well aware that WebDirect (FM13) is not build or supported for iOS or Android tablets. I've read the specifications. And yes, things should probably be done in PHP instead. Which is no doubt, what will happen eventually. But for a number of reasons, I'm involved in a couple of projects, where we have decided to examine the borders of WebDirects compatibilty first.
So I would like to hear any concrete findings from other crazy persons who have been experimenting on the wild side with WebDirect. What kind of functions and design methods work for you. What should we avoid in striving for a solution to best survive in e.g. Chrome on an Android tablet? Any experiences with Raspberry?
Why is this interesting? Well, unless you publish your WebDirect solution on an intranet or another very controlled environment, there will always be users who will try to use whatever browser is at hand. So we might as well prepare and try to recognize and understand the things that can and will go wrong in those situations. Maybe we might even collect some useful feedback for the good developers at FMI. ;-)
We have a development that if accessed by regular Filemaker Pro the button (via Open URL) that links to a document (word file) it does open the application (MS word) resulting a very satisfactory behaviour for users.
But the same stuff when running with WebDirect the Chrome gets an
"not capable of opening the window; please deactivate the popup window blocker and try again". Well needless to say that that blocker is not active (under preferencies) and the IS manager of the net also verifies it is not blocked at her level.
Also firefox, same machine, is not able to open the application; in this case with no alarm / action at all.
- Windows 7 professional, SP1
- Chrome: Versión 41.0.2272.118 m
- Firefox: 36.0.4
- FM Server: 220.127.116.110