Kiosk Mode and Regular file on a Hosted FMS13

Harry

This topic is 3570 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello Board,

Not sure if I am posting in the correct forum or not...

I have a database solution being used. I want to deploy a Kiosk version of it to another set of users.

Can i just create the Kiosk file, upload it to the server and the two work together?

The data from the Kiosk file just goes into the original file and vice versa? There's no issue with having to setup the separate files as External Data Sources?

Does one become the 'main file'?

Thanks,

Harry

Are you using the separation model? It sounds like you want to create a copy of the original file?

Assuming you want to have the data stored in one place so that users all have access to the same data set, you could duplicate the original file, point the new file to the original file via external data sources, and then repoint each of the TOs in the relational graph to the TOs in the original file.  Once this is done you can get rid of most of the tables in the new file since they no longer have any references to them.  This way your new kiosk file is very small and lean, contains all the same functionality as the original file, but all of the data is stored in the original file.

Make sure that any changes done to the original from are mirrored in your kiosk file and make sure they both have the same login credentials.

I have no idea what the separation model is.

I will search and find out, thank you.

I have also not done any work with FM-to-FM external data sources, so i will need to experiment.  I was hoping that sort of link would be handled by FM. The idea of reconnected all my TO's scares the bejesus out of me!!

Thanks for your input.

Separation model is just a fancy way of saying that your interface and scripts are stored in one file and your data is stored in a separate file.

You then link your UI file to the data file and in that way, if you make changes to the UI (aka business logic) file, you can just swap out the old UI for the new UI and be on your merry way without affecting the data.  If you make changes to both, you just need to keep track of schema changes to the data file carefully so that you can replicate them in the exact order you did them, and then swap the UI file after you are done.  This way nothing breaks.

This topic is 3570 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.