Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Filemaker, SNMP and NMS

This topic is 3581 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi,

I am looking to create a solution that does one of the following two tasks:

Interrogate an NMS to which SNMP codes have been sent (I do not wish to interrogate the device/service themselves sending the traps

OR

Have the ability for Filemaker to act as an NMS itself - actually, this would be the more seamless version, and preferred method.

Does anybody know of such a product or how it may be achieved?

I have an interesting product idea that doesn't _seem_ to have been addressed yet, and the above functionality would be the engine behind it all.

Please advise. Comments welcome.

Thanks

Greg

FMS and FMP communicate through their own protocol on their own ports.  So using the SNMP protocol, either for sending or receiving will either:

- have to go through the OS and tight integration

- or a plugin

If the NMS itself has a database then you could connect to that one provided the NMS database supports the normal standards (ODBC, JDBC,...) and is open to that kind of connectivity.

Hi Wim,

Thanks for your reply. 

Yes, SNMP uses UDP ports 161 and 162 and the firewall ports are configured accordingly.

It was a plugin I was looking for that would listen on these ports and store them in an FM table that I can then work on within FM.

I have been looking around - without luck - for somebody who has a product that might do this. Alternatively, a bare-bones NMS that stores the SNMP events that I can then - depending on the format - read the contents of that file.

Cheers,

Greg

Hi Wim,

Yes, that sounds like a good option too - thank you.  I'll look into this.

Another thing I found was a plug-in from MonkeyBread software that allows FM to listen directly to specific ports. One less middle middle man. :)

Thanks for your response.

Cheers,

Greg

This topic is 3581 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.