Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Displaying Records

wildkat27

This topic is 3553 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I have moderate understanding of Filemaker, so I apologize in advance, but I'm a quick learner! 

I have a database with thousands of records. I need to create a layout (though I'm not sure that's the best option) that allows me to choose specific records and insert them based on their unique ID. Ideally I'd like to type the record in and "add" it to this new list.

Additionally, I'd love to display them as "boxes" both horizontally and vertically so I can see all of my chosen records at once.

I'm just looking for any advice on the most efficient way to create this.

Thanks so much!!

I wildkat27, and welcome to the FM Forums,

I’m not sure what a moderate understanding of FileMaker is? Have you read the User’s Manual, are you familiar with Relationships, Value Lists, Scripts, Going to Relate Records, etc.? Although FileMaker has a reputation for being easy to learn and use, it still has a learning curve. If you are familiar with databases, then the learning curve can be less than when you have no prior knowledge of database schema.

A good way to get a jump start on your knowledge, is by reading the User Guide and following the examples and instructions on building a databases. There are some good classes on FileMaker available on the web, a couple that I would recommend are lynda.com  and the FileMaker Training Series

HTH

Lee

It may be more productive if you explicitly describe what you want to do in real-world terms, instead of asking about tools and methods that you think are appropriate. I have a vague notion of what it is you're after …

Maybe display a portal on your Invoice layout that is based on a Cartesian relationship between Invoice and Products. This portal will show you all products in the Products table.

Now you could

• add a filter field and a portal filter with a script trigger to “filter as you go”

• add a product to the Invoice by creating records with the Product foreign key in a LineItems table

• highlight them within the portal by using a $$var and Conditional Formatting

• use a text field to store the IDs of selected/clicked products as a list, use that field as match field for another relationship to Products, and use a portal to show this selected subset of products.

(By using several portals, each with a different initial row and/or number of rows, you could show subsets of the matching (i.e. selected) products – if you want to get fancy …).

etc.

I fully understand how portals work.

Then I'm not sure why you posted this question in the first place …  :laugh:

I think that was to let me know that watching the videos has helped him to understand how to make a portal. The question now has moved on to invoicing, I think?

@ wildkat27 did you look at the example of invoice files that came with FileMaker?

It might help us now to see a copy of your file (or a mockup), which generally helps us to speed up the question and answering about your file.

To attach a file, just follow the steps here ATTACH A FILE

HTH

Lee

p.s. let me know if we are not following your need, by posting future.

Edited by Lee Smith
corrected typos

Since you say you fully understand how portals work, I think there would be some portals in your example.

Portals that you want to improve; or supplement with new portals - understood. 

This topic is 3553 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.