Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Automatically Opening PDF Files from Container field

This topic is 3523 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a cabinet shop.  We store all of our shop drawings in PDF format on a remote server.  We have been doing this successfully for several years.

The shop drawings are inserted into a container field then opened with the Export Field Contents script in attached file.

I am not sure exactly what kind of server software our host uses but the client stations at my shop are running Filemaker 10 on Mac OSX 10.4.1.

I am trying to migrate this process to a  hosted database running Filemaker 13 on OSX 10.9.4.

I am using a different company to host the FM13 files than I am for the FM10 files.

I have been able to successfully open PDF files on a standalone database on my desktop but when I upload the database file to the new server I get an error message that says:

""$filepath"" could not be created on this disk.  Use a different name, make more room on the disk, unlock it or use a different disk.

Has something changed in the migration from FM 10 to FM 13 that I need to pay attention to?

Is there some other way other way for the user to click on a button and have the PDF file automatically open without any further intervention?

OPENPDF.fmp12.zip

I do recommend embedding the actual extension in the filename either .pdf or .jpg referenced from some FILENAME field vs just getting the name of the container as sometimes the end user fails to add the file extension to the name before adding it to the container. 

I modified your script to include a variable $path which is:   Get ( TemporaryPath ) & table::containerField  

then in your export field contents in the second Specify box you just add $path as a variable not a string.

The only other thing that can pose a problem i think is that if end users have File Valut (OSX) running that may change the value of the file path.

OPENPDF.fmp12.zip

the filePath that you had in the export field contents portion was a string of text (quoted) that's where i believe the error was coming from. 

This topic is 3523 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.