This topic is 2172 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

We created a runtime soltuion many years ago which we distributed. We are in the process of updating it with Filemaker Pro Advanced 13. I have done a lot of modifications over the last few months, and one the new features which has been scripted in multiple forms to be able to create PDFs, append to PDFs (gather reports together to create one pdf), create attachments etc...

I did not realize till yesterday that when you create the runtime app you lose the functionality of saving as pdfs due to Filemaker not wanting to license. My bad, didn't even think that would be an issue :hmm:. This s a huge issue. I need to find a solution. Is there a plugin that would allow us to do this in a runtime (I looked at fmbutler which I'll experiment with). I saw on one site, to include the filemaker license in with the solution. But that would make it more complicated then simply installing our program.

Ideas, suggestions would be very much welcomed.

Caroline

There are two possible routes you could explore - neither of them are trivial though.

Using 360 Works Scriptmaster Plug-in with the iText library would allow you to create and manage PDF files, which I think is similar to the approach you would need with the MonkeyBread Plug-in that @Fitch suggests.  With these plug-ins you would have to build the PDF pages from scratch, it's not possible to render them directly from a Filemaker layout, which is what the Save as PDF function does.

The other possibilty is to look at a PDF printing product such as CutePDF, which acts as a virtual printer but produces PDF files rather than printed pages. However this would mean installing this as a separate entity which may not suit the way you want to distribute the run-time.

Brian

This topic is 2172 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By HOnza
      As a Claris partner, we also resell FileMaker licenses. Buying the license from us has some extra benefits, one of them being a nicely formatted PDF document with all information about the license, including download links. In order to be able to generate this document from our FileMaker based CRM, I needed to find a way to include functional web links in it. So I wrote a custom function that does it, without needing any plug-ins or other external technologies.

The custom function simply takes a PDF saved from FileMaker, and adds a link to it. As long as you know what page and where on that page you want the link to be, you can modify your PDF that easily.

No plug-ins are needed, no web viewer, so it works in the whole platform, including WebDirect and server-side scripts.
      Click here to get the example and read the story behind it.
    • By Answers
      We have containers that we drag and drop PDFs into, that are externally stored and the field on the layout is formatted as a PDF. I know I've done this in the past where I wrote a little script that sets a temporary path and when it's clicked the enduser can view in Adobe. The script is simple: it sets the a variable to a temporary path, then exports the field contents to automatically open. I cannot get the script to work. It seems so simple... maybe my mind isn't working right today.
      So my next idea was to make popover button with the pdf container in, interactive so when the user clicks on the popover you see the PDF within Filemaker, that does not work either. I tried this both on a mac and a pc.
      I'm sure I'm missing something.
      Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
      Caroline
    • By jeffreym9152
      Trying to display a pdf stored on the iPad AT A SPECIFIC PAGE NUMBER or 'DESTINATION'  tag within the  pdf document from FMGo.  I've tried both a Webviewer and Open URL call but the #page= and #destinationtag appended to the filepath (eg //MyFile.pdf#page=20) is ignored.  Any ideas how to open and display a  PDF at specific page?
    • By 360Works
      Scribe 4 - FileMaker OCR Scanning Demo Video
      Today, we wanted to share a practical way to use the new FileMaker OCR and PDF integration features in Scribe 4. If you have a stack of paper with information you need to access from FileMaker, you can easily automate this process with Scribe.
      In this demo video, we will show how you can scan in a stack of paper and extract the text (using OCR) into FileMaker, and have it on individual (spliced) PDF pages.
        Watch the Video   Stay updated with 360Works

Questions? Email: plugins@360Works.com

• By 360Works
      New Major Version Release:
      Scribe 4!
      We are excited to announce a new major version of a popular 360Works plug-in, introducing Scribe 4! 360Works Scribe is the ultimate document automation plug-in for FileMaker; it allows integration with Word, Excel, and PDF documents. In this release, we are taking it to the next level by adding in the ability to read your scanned documents, such as receipts, forms, or contract PDF files, with OCR (Optical Character Recognition) functionality. Additionally, we added features to allow you to merge PDFs and get meta-data from them, plus multiple fixes for existing functionality in Scribe.
      New OCR Functionality
      Scribe 4 ships with brand new OCR functionality to read your scanned documents and extract text to be added into FileMaker. For example, a law firm can scan in loads of paper legal contracts and have the text extracted and imported into the appropriate FileMaker records! Scribe leverages the technology of Amazon Textract which goes beyond simple OCR by not only extracting text but also identifying key information like the contents of fields in forms.

Click here for a cool demo file showing how to use this new OCR functionality in Scribe!
      New PDF Merge Feature
      We added two new functions to merge and manipulate PDFs with Scribe. For example, if you have a couple of PDFs stored in container fields, the new function ScribePDFMerge allows the two PDFs to be merged together. The new ScribePDFSplice function allows a multi-page PDF to be split up into smaller PDFs. This is beneficial if you have containers with multi-page PDFs, and only need to utilize a specific part of the entire PDF file.
      Get PDF Meta-Data
      You can now get meta-data about a PDF, such as the name of the author and page count. The new ScribeGetPDFAttributes function will return various meta-data about a PDF. This can be helpful if you want to have FileMaker manage PDF files according to the author or number of pages specified in the meta-data.
      Multiple Improvements to Existing Functionality
      We also made several upgrades to the existing Scribe functionality. When using Excel with Scribe, the Excel cell reading and writing images to Excel cells has been greatly improved. We also made fixes for the ScribeDocSubstitute function for replacing a value.

Try or Buy Scribe 4

Availability
      Scribe 4 is available now at the Scribe product page. Active maintenance subscribers for Scribe or the 360Works Portfolio Bundle can download new major version 4 at no additional cost. All purchases within the last 12 months are still under an active maintenance subscription. If the maintenance on Scribe has not been renewed within the last 12 months, you will need to purchase a new license to use Scribe 4.

For new license purchases, we have several license types available based on number of users, client-side or server-side usage, and a solution bundle license for developers with a vertical market solution.

A free, fully functional demo is available to test Scribe. While in demo mode, Scribe will run for 2 hours every time you launch FileMaker (or FileMaker Server, for server deployment).

Full pricing, license type information, and the demo version can be accessed at the Scribe product page.
        Try or Buy Scribe 4     Stay updated with 360Works

360Works

Questions? Please Email plugins@360Works.com

• Who Viewed the Topic

1 member has viewed this topic:
    dataclip 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.