Server Maintenance This Week. ×

SQL Server and FMS 13 on same machine, using ESS

This topic is 3484 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi

When I set up FM Server 13 on one machine, and install a SQL Server External Data Source, referencing a SQL Server installation on a second PC, my ESS connections from the client PCs work perfectly.

But when I install FMS 13 on the same machine as the SQL Server (the client's preference) and set up an ODBC connection there, my External Data Source is not seen by the client PCs. The SQL Server I'm told has been installed as a virtual server (this stuff not my forte).

Is this a known issue? You can't have SQL Server and FM Server and ESS all onthe same machine? Or must I be doing something else wrong?

As a test, I did the non-recommeded thing of installing FM Pro client also on the SQL Server machine, and alongside FM Server, just to see whether it could use the ESS connection when I connected to the hosted database. It could indeed. But other clients, on separate PCS, could not.

I'd be very grateful for anyone's advice.

Many thanks.

Nick

It does not make sense to install FMS on the same machine (virtual or otherwise) as SQL Server.  All database servers have the same potential bottlenecks so putting two database servers in contention for the same resources is madness.

And from a risk management point of view, you will lose two databases if one machine goes down...

If FM Pro could use the connection, and you are on a Windows server, you have the wrong driver installed.

But I will put my hand in on Wim's advice. You are asking for performance problems at the least. And data loss if the machine fails.

Hi

When I set up FM Server 13 on one machine, and install a SQL Server External Data Source, referencing a SQL Server installation on a second PC, my ESS connections from the client PCs work perfectly.

But when I install FMS 13 on the same machine as the SQL Server (the client's preference) and set up an ODBC connection there, my External Data Source is not seen by the client PCs. The SQL Server I'm told has been installed as a virtual server (this stuff not my forte).

Is this a known issue? You can't have SQL Server and FM Server and ESS all onthe same machine? Or must I be doing something else wrong?

As a test, I did the non-recommeded thing of installing FM Pro client also on the SQL Server machine, and alongside FM Server, just to see whether it could use the ESS connection when I connected to the hosted database. It could indeed. But other clients, on separate PCS, could not.

I'd be very grateful for anyone's advice.

Many thanks.

Nick

• Newbies

I take the point about unsafe practice and will rededicate myself to moving the client away from a single machine solution.

In terms of literal possibility, I think you're saying that the installed driver must be wrong one. I'll check that too.

Many thanks for all these comments.

Nick

Just note. If you have a lot of activity from the sql and FMS end, it can (will) make your solution look like it doesn't work well. Those bottlenecks are bad enough when you have just one service hammering on them.

This topic is 3484 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.