Export to existing file

This topic is 8054 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

When exporting records I get the dialog box where I name the file I am exporting to. Is it possible to take the current database, clone it with no records, and then from the original database export to the existing file that was created as a clone?

LR

The purpose is for archive. After we are done with a particular record we will delete it from the current database. But for a period of time I would like to keep an archive of the record. Thus the empty cloned database. I would like to have a script in the original database that will export the selected record, add it to the archive, and then delete it from the original.

LR

And you can't prepare the file for back-uping ?

If it's not a case then you simply need an import script in back-up version of your file that will simpy import from and than delete records in your original DB.

If you really can't put hands on the backup file, than do following:

Make a empty clone of your DB

Create an relationship from your original file to cloned file. enable option create related records.

Now, when you need to "export" a record, activate the relationship and populate all fields you are interested having in backup copy.

Check via GTRR if related record is created ( if not you'll end up with err 101)

Delete original

HTH

Dj

Here is what I did to get this to work. When finished with a current record in my daily use database I wanted to be able to export it to a archive database. In my main file called Job Database I created a script called Archive:

Show all records

Omit record

Show omitted

Perform script [sub-scripts, "Archive 2"]

Show all records

I also created a second script called Archive 2:

Export Records [restore, no dialog, "Archive Link"]

Perform script [sub-scripts, external: "Archive Database"]

Delete record/request [ ]

Now when the first script is called upon a couple of things happen:

The current record is selected. The second script is run which exports the record to a holding database called Archive Link. An external script is run which imports the record from the holding database Archive Link and places it in the Archive Database. The current record is then deleted from the current working database. In the final step the current database is returned to a show all state.

The external script that is called upon from the Archive Database that holds copies of all the records that I am done with looks like this:

Import records [restore, no dialog, "Archive Link"]

This script imports the record that was exported from the Job Database to the holding database Archive Link.

Seems to work quite well, and all with just a single click on a button in the Job Database that runs the Archive script and all the steps associated with it.

Not exactly a simple 2 or 3 step process...but it works well and actually runs all the steps fairly quickly and seamlessly.

LR

This topic is 8054 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.