Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Minimum version allowed

LaRetta

This topic is 3417 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I was a bit surprised to notice that I can not check 'Minimum version allowed' to 13 in a file while it is being served.  I just wanted to verify that others experience same thing.  My thinking is that, since we are IN the file, and if anyone is in the file, FileMaker can not test & prohibit a User from opening the file so instead it just disallows the action across the board.

I would think FM would be capable of testing that currently there are no 12 served Users in itself and would allow the checkmark.

Hi Steven, thank you for responding! :-)

I know I can check 'minimum version' to 13 in File Options and that is what I am talking about ... but it can't be checked while the file is being served and that was my point.  I was trying to understand FM's reasoning that it can't be checked while served.  

As for v-revs of any version, that's a little more challenging.  But it can be done.

I don't know what you mean by this, sorry.  

You can not set minimum allowed version, while the file is served, since it is open for hosting. The check is done before opening for hosting and done from FMS, which is why you need to change that setting while the file is not served.

What Steven is talking about is how you can e.g. prevent a user with FMP 13.0v1 from opening a solution, where you want the minimum vRev version to be FMP 13.0v2

Here you will need to have the check done as a part of the startup script.

• Like 1

Hi Claus,  

That makes sense about the version checkbox and the v-revs as well.  Thank you!

"the check is done for hosting and done by FMS" ... would this only be true for versioning or would it hold true for all File Options?  What comes to mind immediately would be system settings for date/time!! 

Well, never mind, of course I can test this myself.  I've always developed stand-alone so I've never noticed!  Thank you!

This topic is 3417 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.