Configuring two Servers on same LAN for WAN access?

HALBURN

This topic is 3410 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

We have two FileMaker servers on our LAN. One is running FMS12 and the other one is running FMS13. How can I control which server WAN users are routed to?

We have users accessing the servers from (Desktop, FMGO, and Web Publishing).

Thanks.

One way is by using two different public IP addresses and forwarding one to FMS12 and the other to FMS13.

Or implement a VPN; that way when users are get on your LAN through the VPN they can connect to either one.

I would definitely go the second way.  Much easier to implement and more secure.

I'll look into a VPN. I will be curious to see if there is a performance hit. I am using a VPN with our Quickbooks users and they are always complaining about the slow speed.

Thanks for your reply.

Can you please explain how the two public IP address method would work? I am not asking for specific instructions for my router, I am just trying to understand the basic setup.

I am not an networking expert but I have never noticed a feature in any router that would allow me to enter two different public IP addresses.

Thanks.

You would have to have a firewall/router that can listen to to those two IP addresses.  The traffic on port 5003 on one incoming address gets forwarded to server 2, the traffic on port 5003 on the other public IP gets forwarded to server #2

This topic is 3410 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.