Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Does a consistency check guarantee the integrity of a database?

This topic is 3400 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

If while developing code, I end up having to force quit because a script doesn't complete, and the file starts up fine after I change ports and relaunch, can I count on the database not having been corrupted? I have done a consistency check (no errors) and compacted the file for good measure. Should that be enough, or should one as a rule always go back to the most recent copy and manually rebuild changed scripts, add new fields to the database, etc.?

Is the file hosted?  If so, you should be fine.  If not, I would not continue to use it.

Note that you can always get out of infinite loop script by using the script debugger.

What do you mean with "after I change ports"?  

If I understand the term "hosting" correctly, I believe the file was acting as the host. The file wasn't on the server; I was developing scripts on my Mac prior to uploading to the server. But the file still acts as the host in this situation, no? (Occasionally I will test a second user on my LAN, in which case I assume the second user becomes a client.) Or is the file I'm developing not considered a host because it's not running on a server?

Unfortunately, I am using FM Pro (11, while I wait for our IT person to clear the way to mount our already purchased FM Server 13 on our server). I would need FM Pro Advanced for the debugger, right? I already purchased 13 Pro for myself, so it looks like I'm stuck for a while. It would be great to be able to get out of infinite loops, and I take it there are other features in Advanced that would make debugging less painful.

By changing ports, I am referring to the numbers 591 and 80 that I have to enter to get Filemaker to start again after a crash. (I just tried to reproduce the exact error message, but I had trouble doing so, so I hope this is enough by way of explanation.)

The file wasn't on the server

Then, no; the file was not hosted.  When you force quite FM when the file is  hosted you don't normally damage the file (but the data will likely be out of whack).

In your case, force quitting FM may damage the file and the damage may accumulate over time.

I would recommend going back to your last back-up and redo the work.

You can always download the trial version of FMS13 and set up a more robust environment until IT is ready.

This topic is 3400 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.