Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Hide Related field disappears

rivet

This topic is 3388 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a parent and child table

I hide the child field until the parent field is populated via 'hide object when'

which all works.

but....

if the child field is not on a portal and I click in that field, the field disappears.

( note:  file attached,  make sure there is no related child record, to see it in action ) 

hiddenRelatedFieldWithoutPortal.zip

OSX 10.9.5

I get the correct behaviour whether the field is in the portal or not.  If there is no child, both the portal and the field outside the portal disappears as expected.  Specifically, I can do steps 1 and 2 but I cannot do step 3 because the child fields are not there so I cannot click into them.  If I am misunderstanding then please set me straight and I'll try again. :-)

I've searched known bugs and can find no specific reports of Hide failing.  I would suspect then that it is Yosemite-specific.  You might wish to post it here to get confirmation:

http://forums.filemaker.com/hives/1eea103f05/summary

BTW, something you may not have been aware of ... if you hide an object which has enclosed objects, such as portal, tab control, popover or slider then all objects within it will automatically hide as well - no need to hide the objects or fields inside specifically.

Bizarre.  I get that behavior too when I add a company name in the parent. 

We know the cursor enters the field because if we attach a script trigger OnObjectEnter, it fires.  And Get ( ActiveFieldName ) does display FullName and we can also set the field with a value both manually or via that trigger script.

Refresh Object, commit, refresh window ... nothing forces it to display.  It is enterable but does not show it is.  Of course you could use a one-row portal but that's not the point ... it is a bug.

thanks for confirming.... I was just testing other platforms based on your previous response but as you just mentioned its defiantly a bug.... so a single row portal it is   --- thanks again.

I note that the layout is based on the CHILD table occurrence but the discussion infers you think it is based on the PARENT table occurrence.

Edit: I see the layout is NAMED child but it is fact based on the parent TO.

Interesting.  Create a new record and type something into the company name lower left so the 'valid' field changes to 1.  You will see both child FullName fields be visible just like we would expect.  But if you now go to the FullName outside of the portal and type into it, what happens?

For us, the field disappears.  And I've changed field's fill color, borders, 'in focus' ... nothing makes a difference. 

If it were working properly, the field would highlight in blue just like the one in the portal when you enter it.

This topic is 3388 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.