Slew of newbie problems.

This topic is 3364 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I've had to reverse engineer other sync solutions and have installed a couple GoZyncs with no problem. This is my first attempt at using EasySync.

Broke my solution into 2 files  pulled in everything as the instructions say and got it to work. I then started cleaning up my 2 new files so that one was more "mobile" and the other more "server." (different layouts and navigation). Now nothing works. I can get new files to push from Mobile but I can't get anything to Pull from server. New or old. I have an empty mobile file and want all the server files on mobile. I turned on debugging and if I read it correctly it's finding nothing to sync. I've checked the TO's a dozen times.  Moved mobile to an iPad so it would have a new DeviceID and nada. I've replaced the RecordUUIDs on the server side several times, no result (same with the UTC_Time). I get no errors of any kind.

First I need to understand the boilerplate fields. The instructions say "grab the fields from the demo DB" and do the same for Host and Mobile (ie. repeat steps 1-4). I grabbed them and pasted them in across the board. I'm pretty sure I copied the ones from Hosted and put them in both hosted and mobile solution. Like I said before that seemed to work. After things went south I opened the original demo files and I see where on the Hosted side the UTC_Time and the DeviceID fields are set to "replace content". Which I find odd in that several posts say clearing the Device ID helps get files to download. I tried what one poster suggested was replace the DeviceID with 5.  I can't replace the DeviceID on the hosted file because it automatically replaces it with the servers persistentID. On the Mobile side it has RecordUUID and UTC_TIme as "replacing existing values." Device ID is auto Calc and not replacing. 

Any light on this would be helpful.

And on a side note, I've never been able to get the sync, even on the demo to work, when both the hosted and mobile files are on the laptop. I added the path to the file in the External Data Services but nothing works. I made sure both were in the same folder (I have to admit I did not turn on debugging to find out why). I could only get it to work when I placed the host on my server. Do you have to change a sync setting to have the host be on the laptop?

Okay. I found another laptop that has FMP on it. I Changed the DeviceID on the records and it now works. What I don't understand is why another device, such as my iPad, prior to my changing the device ID, couldn't pull them. That has a different ID. It had an empty database and no records in it. I get the gist of why you want to avoid roundtripping but the new device simply wants to upload, which is the step after you push when there is no chance of roundtripping. (As I understand it always pushes then pulls).  What am I missing here?

I can't seem to find a clear definition of the term reset in the documentation so far. If you mean to reset the Device ID on the host, I find that the replace contents, as per the hosted demo database, is set to auto replace the DeviceID with the device that is touching it so I can't see any way of resetting it with the same device. Or do you mean reset it from the iPad I'm trying to sync?  Has any attempted a document that compiles the bits and pieces on settings etc that are scattered through the website and the forums? Everything links back to the FAQ, troubleshooting and the Setup (and the forum). Across the forum I see more explanation about lots of setup tips that I don't see in the FAQ, Troubleshooting and Setup. Forums are helpful but often the solution you seek is not under a familiar header. (I hated using "newbie questions in my topic because it's not specific enough). I guess I need to break down my individual questions into multiple topics. For example earlier in this post I asked about some clarification if I was correct on how the timestamp fields and the DeviceID are setup on the host vs mobile. I'm still not sure if they are setup correctly since resetting the DeviceID on the host is important but from my viewpoint impossible.

This topic is 3364 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.