Server Maintenance This Week. ×

FM Server and FM pro on Same machine?

This topic is 3364 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi there,

I have a client who is using windows server 2008 and running thin clients for all users. ie. each user logs in to the server using their own profile.

I need to setup FMS for a couple of specific reasons - external access from ipads, scheduled scripts, multiple users connecting at the same time.

I've read that FMS and FM Pro should NOT be on the same machine.

I have very little experience with FMS (only used it as a hosted solution previously) so I'm not clear on if this setup will work.

If FM server is running on the server, can the users (who are accessing the server through thin clients) run FM pro to access the served files? eg. through open remote?

I have read about the dangers of users opening the FM file directly, but since they are using thin clients and can only access files in their own profile, it's quite easy for us to ensure they can't access the file directly (users simply aren't given persmission to access the folder where the actual data file resides) - in other words the ONLY way they can access the file is through "Open remote"

Would there be any issues with this setup?

Thanking you in advance.

Would there be any issues with this setup?

Yes.  A better approach is to have a separate machine with Terminal Services and a volume license install of FIleMaker Pro installed on it. The users can then access the databases hosted by FIleMaker Server on a separate machine from their virtual session.

Steven

it's quite easy for us to ensure they can't access the file directly (users simply aren't given persmission to access the folder where the actual data file resides) - in other words the ONLY way they can access the file is through "Open remote"

It's a fallacy to think that it is easy.  It just seems easy.  A simple config change can wreck everything here.  And depending on your backup strategy that may prove to be costly.  Purely from a risk mitigation point of view it is not worth it.  The cost of an entry level server machine to run FMS on is going to be multitudes cheaper than the effort it will take to clean things up after the first time it goes wrong with both roles on one machine.  And it will go wrong, it's just a matter of time.

That's what best practices are: a summary of other people's (costly) experiences, put out there in the hopes that you can avoid that same cost.

• Like 1

This topic is 3364 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.