Opening Databases Remotely via URL

JLC10123

This topic is 3332 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I've got a navigation file made eons ago that I'm trying to replace. There's ~100 buttons, each attached to separate scripts that just do an Open File step for whatever the user is trying to open.

I've already written my one script that opens everything via a URL with a parameter passed from the relevant buttons instead. Works almost as I wanted, with one catch: In the original navigator, the user doesn't have to log into any of the files that are opened with those buttons that run the Open File steps. It just uses the same password they used to open the navigator, and ta-da, they're in.

In the new navigator with the one parameter-based script, it prompts the user with every button click, which is really not ideal. (I know it's possible to shove accountname:password@ into the URL to force it open with the right login, but the accounts are all externally authenticated, so no dice.)

What am I missing? Or is opening files via URL just not going to be able to cascade the password like regular ol' Open File? If not, any idea why not?

Any input would be most appreciated. Thanks!

- Joy

What am I missing? Or is opening files via URL just not going to be able to cascade the password like regular ol' Open File? If not, any idea why not?

Save username and password on keychain?

It is not going to cascade.  Because you are going outside of FM to talk to FM (the fmp protocol call is handled by the OS, who passes it off to the application that is registered for that protocol).

Why not just use a snapshot link?  That's its purpose.  If users are using External Server Authentication they enter their credentials one time.  This is a lot more secure than the URL method described.  If users are on MAcintosh OS, they can emulate Single Sign On by storing the credentials in the KeyChain; however that isn't p[articularly secure either.

Steven

This topic is 3332 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.