FMP as client for ODBC database?

This topic is 8053 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

As a newbie (I haven't worked with FMP since '94) I'm tasked with migrating some existing FMP apps to a SQL based backend database.

The ultimate goal here is to have ALL of our data reside in a single repository (MYSQL) without having to rebuild a significant number of our user interfaces. We have significant time and effort invested in building interfaces with with FMP and I'd like to keep them, only have them connect to MYSQL.

I've tried using ODBC to connect, but it's not a real 'live' connection ... instead it imports the data into a FMP database, so I end up with a 'copy' of the MYSQL data. Since input is occurring at both ends (MYSQL and FMP) keeping the data synchronized is a problem, hence my decision to move to a single MYSQL repository.

Currently we have some chron jobs that move data back and forth between the two systems, but this method is somewhat of a KLUGE.

Anybody have any experience in this area?

• Newbies

OK ... I'm new to the forum and totally confused.

Did I accidentally post this twice? What do you mean with the 'backup before making changes' statement? Please elaborate and I'll do my best to post in the appropriate matter.

This topic is 8053 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.