Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Print PDF from Container

TKnTexas

This topic is 3345 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am using FileMaker Pro 13 on Win7.  While I have been using FMP since ver3, container fields are a new experience for me.  My coworker and I want to scan the receiving documents we get.  We get these in batches from the Receiving Clerk.  One method we are considering would be to scan the whole batch to PDF.  We would not use FileMaker for this option.

The other is to scan the individual receiving docs (2-4 pages) to PDF.  We have this down.  We can scan a mess of the receivers to our network.  They auto-name with a date stamp.  Using Import->Folder I can import the lot.  There is a receiving number noted on the form.  As we review each record, we will key this number into a field for searching later if needed.

My problem is printing.  If I need a receiving doc, I search for it and find it.  Now I need to print this PDF.  The Adobe Interface shows on the image, I can click the PRINTER icon.  It brings up the dialog box to print.  But that is where it ends.  I can't print and I can't close the print window.   I have to exit Filemaker to move on.

Do I have to do an export of the PDF to print it?  Or have I missed something.  I have included a screen shot of what I am working on.  

For my coworker this will be his first exposure to FileMaker.  I want to make it a good one.  

post-84605-0-05484100-1424928966_thumb.p

One option is to use a script:

- construct a path & name to the temp folder in a variable

- use export field contents to the temp folder, using that name

- either use the option to automatically open the PDF so that the user can print from Reader

- or don't use the option and use Send Event & the name variable to print the document

Thanks Wim.  I was thinking about this today.  I came to the conclusion to print any receiver I need I would need to do a TEMPORARY export that ADOBE Reader would print.

This topic is 3345 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.