Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Excel Export - Is this possible?

This topic is 3340 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

so, i am looking to see if it's possible to export an excel spreadsheet that has both top column headers, and left side row headers.  this is the sample of what i mean:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2636782/attendance.xls

basically, i need to show an attendance.  so, if there's a 1 in the event or meeting, they were there.  0 means they weren't.  but, i am not sure if this is even possible to do from filemaker.  can someone point me in the right direction?

oh, i should probably also explain that the names down the left column are from the 'contacts' table, while the events across the top are from an event table.  so, two separate tables, but each would be required for their headers.

You can script out the building of all of those values into a delimited array and then use a Virtual Table to display and export to excel.

This will allow you export the data in the basic format, however it will not handle rotated text, background colors, or the locked A, B, and C columns. If a user could do these last steps after the excel has been created then this method could work.

There are much more complex ways to handle those last steps but it would require a lot more scripting and knowledge of Excel's XML formatting - to the best of my knowledge.

i 'almost' followed you on that one.  haha.  what do you mean by a 'delimited array'?  i understand what the words mean, i'm just asking how i would go about doing that process?

oh, and thank you for the quick reply.  also, i can have excel run a macro for the formatting end of it.  i'm just trying to figure out how to get the data to work.  obviously, getting column headers is default.  but getting it to list the names out on the left as headers seems to be stumping me.

This topic is 3340 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.