Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Relationship help

shredded

This topic is 3329 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello!

I have a Project record and it pulls Product records via a portal. My Project has a Manufacturer drop down field... I am finding that the Products table should need this field more so, that way I can have multiple products with multiple manufacturers... What would be a good way to transition all existing manufacturer data into a Product field? I would like to also be able to continue using my Project drop down to cascade the manufacturer into products, but also be able to override individual items if needed. Thanks

I am finding that the Products table should need this field more so, that way I can have multiple products with multiple manufacturers...

If a Project is allowed to have Products from different manufacturers, then of course the Manufacturer field (or rather ManufacturerID field) needs to be in the Products table.

What would be a good way to transition all existing manufacturer data into a Product field?

What "manufacturer data"? The only data the field  should contain is a unique identifier of the manufacturer - any other "manufacturer data" should be in a Manufacturers table.

To copy the IDs from a field in Projects into a field in Products, go to the Products table, show all records, click into the ManufacturerID field (the new one, defined in the Products table) and select Records > Replace Field Contents… > Replace with calculated result =

Projects::ManufacturerID

Make sure you have a backup before you try this, because Replace Field Contents… is a very powerful tool with no Undo.

I would like to also be able to continue using my Project drop down to cascade the manufacturer into products, but also be able to override individual items if needed.

Not sure I understand the term "cascade" in this context. I am guessing you want to set the (new) Products::ManufacturerID field to lookup data from Projects::ManufacturerID.

This topic is 3329 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.